help!!! Solaris dbx panic for rtld

Post by Martin Imrise » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to debug a program on a Ultrasparc with a core file generated
on a Sparc 10.
I keep getting panics in rtld for these core files, and unfortunately I
don't have access to the machine on which these files are generated.
Does anyone know what the panic is about?  I only get it with the core
files from the said machine.

dbxenv suppress_startup_message 4.0
Reading symbolic information for foo_app
dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xedee0000[4096] of size 0 in core
dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xedef0000[4096] of size 0 in core
dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xee030000[4096] of size 0 in core
dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xee0a1000[4096] of size 0 in core
dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xeea10000[4096] of size 0 in core
core file header read successfully
Reading symbolic information for rtld /usr/lib/ld.so.1
dbx: panic: Proc::get_rtld_stuff(): could not initialize rtld_db

--
------------------------------------

GO DSP Corporation
A Texas Instruments Company

help!!! Solaris dbx panic for rtld

Post by arborwe.. » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

What version of OS is on the Sparc10. Is it the same as the one on the
UltraSparc. There are several special debug commands in solaris that must be
used to debug Sun OS code.

Post by Tor Norby » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> What version of OS is on the Sparc10. Is it the same as the one on the
> UltraSparc. There are several special debug commands in solaris that must be
> used to debug Sun OS code.

> > I'm trying to debug a program on a Ultrasparc with a core file generated
> > on a Sparc 10.
> > I keep getting panics in rtld for these core files, and unfortunately I
> > don't have access to the machine on which these files are generated.
> > Does anyone know what the panic is about?  I only get it with the core
> > files from the said machine.

> > dbxenv suppress_startup_message 4.0
> > Reading symbolic information for foo_app
> > dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xedee0000[4096] of size 0 in core
> > dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xedef0000[4096] of size 0 in core
> > dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xee030000[4096] of size 0 in core
> > dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xee0a1000[4096] of size 0 in core
> > dbx: warning: writable memory segment 0xeea10000[4096] of size 0 in core
> > core file header read successfully
> > Reading symbolic information for rtld /usr/lib/ld.so.1
> > dbx: panic: Proc::get_rtld_stuff(): could not initialize rtld_db

In order to debug a corefile on a different machine than the
one it was generated on, it's not enough to just have the same
version of the OS. You typically need the same patch level as well.

If the dynamic libraries aren't the same on your machine as on the
machine the corefile was generated, offsets will be wrong and so on.

In short, you should always debug a corefile on the same machine that
it was produced. Since you say you don't have access to it, search
for a machine with the exact same software on it.

-- Tor

|  Developer Environment & Tools           Sun Microsystems, Inc.  |
|          Speaking for myself, not for Sun Microsystems.          |

1. help!!! Solaris dbx panic for rtld

[...]

2. Steady On Linux! Windows hurts my brain...

3. dbx: warning: do_run(): rtld hand not shaken

4. Revision management

5. solaris 2.6 && dbx panic

6. Want to expand includes for listing...

7. dbx and solaris debuggers panic message with STL code ?

8. read tty port

9. dbx panics in Solaris 2.4

10. Need help with runargs command in dbx under Solaris 2.4

11. HELP: dbx on solaris: License required ?

12. _restorefsr on a solaris thread stack in dbx - HELP

13. dbx: Can dbx read core files from different machines?