'format' and disk labels

Post by B MA » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 02:30:12

Hi,

I am wondering why I need to 'label' a disk drive (for instance, with
the format command).
What does a disk label enable me to do? What is its purpose? Does Solaris
need this label in order to access the disk?

Thank you in advance.
Antonio

'format' and disk labels

Post by Scott Howar » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 13:43:11

> I am wondering why I need to 'label' a disk drive (for instance, with
> the format command).
> What does a disk label enable me to do? What is its purpose? Does Solaris
> need this label in order to access the disk?

The "label" is the part of the disk where Solaris keeps track of things
like the layout of the disk, where partitions are, etc, etc.  So yes, you
do need one on all disks.

Sun disks usually come with a valid label on them, but if you purchase a
disk from a 3rd party, or you somehow erase the existing label on a disk
then you'll need to re-write a new one on it with format.

  Scott.

'format' and disk labels

Post by B vd Zo » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:59:47

> Hi,

> I am wondering why I need to 'label' a disk drive (for instance, with
> the format command).
> What does a disk label enable me to do? What is its purpose? Does
> Solaris need this label in order to access the disk?

This you write the VTOC (Virtual Table Of Contents) to the disk.
Its information about the disk layout. Partitions, sizes etc, etc.

Gtz,
Bas

1. Bad magic number / Can't open disk label package / Can't open boot device

that's what i'm geting:

Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

args: Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

now my question is:
I'm trying to install Solaris on my computer and that's error message that
i'm geting, what do i do?

if i do probe-scsi
I get
Unit 0    Disk    SEAGATE model #

so the harddrive itself is there..

2. What is Linux

3. Disk has no 'backup' label. Bad?

4. Yellow pages for Linux ?

5. what's disk's label

6. Check number of bytes for certain directory tree

7. About VMware's 'virtual disk' file format?

8. gcc with aix 4.3.0

9. Disk crash, now can't read disk label

10. difference 'LABEL=/' and '/dev/hda1' in fstab??

11. Format disk in R30's and 25T's ?

12. SLS's a2-disk - DOS-formatted or raw-formatted??

13. 'Invalid Format' - New Hard disk (Newbie!)