Install multiple locales with Solaris 8 jumpstart profiles

Install multiple locales with Solaris 8 jumpstart profiles

Post by vic mortelma » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:20:14

L.S.

I want to create a Solaris 8 jumpstart profile that installs (only) a
couple of locales on the system (it,sv,pt,no,nl,fr,fi,es,en,de,da).

What I tried:

- figuring out which packages are involved (SUNW{weu, seu, eeu, ceu,
nam, sam, cam, mea, aua, naf, neu}{os, ox}) and making an entry for
each of them in the profile after the entries for the packages we
install:
        package SUNWweuos add
        package SUNWseuos add
        package SUNWauaos add
        package SUNWweuox add
        package SUNWseuox add
        package SUNWauaox add

the effect: packages are just ignored and nothing extra is installed
in /usr/lib/locale

- then I rtfm and found out about the 'locale' statement in profiles,
and I replaced above by
        locale it
        locale sv
        locale pt
        locale de
        locale da

but then on installation of the packages, he complained on not finding
the da-locale (why did it complain about da, does it start at the end
of the list?)

- meanwhile I rftm further and found out about the 'geo' statement in
profiles, which - as far as I understand - does exactly the same as
'locale', but only on a region basis i/o a language basis.

- getting further information from internet, I found out about locales
containing also CDE customization etc. that flood your harddisk, while
we only need things like decimal and date notation.

So, can someone explain how to install limited locale information for
a limited number of languages via Solaris 8 jumpstart profile
configuring?

From an other thread in this list (Sol8, locales, and the GUIs), which
seemed a similar problem, I learned that we'd have to install the
concerning packages manually (well, in a finish script, so not via the
profile); is this the case?

Is there a clear explanation of what the locale and geo statements in
profiles are really ment to do?

Thanks in advance!

Vic Mortelmans

PS Who's going to write the Solaris 8 locale howto?

PPS I'll monitor the list, but it would be appreciated if a cc. could
be sent by email as well

1. trouble with solaris 2.7 jumpstart looking for locale

hi,

    i am setting up jumpstart for 2.7 on sun and am having trouble
figuring out why i get a dialog box asking for the locale upon
entering openwindows out of jumpstart.  We are running nis+ on 2.5.1
servers.  We have jumpstart setup fro 2.4, 2.5.1, 2.6 and they all do
not ask for locale.   We have no locale nis+ table and these work fine
and nothing in the jumpstart configurations mention locale.  I tried
adding the locale table for nis+ and it still doesnot work!  Once i
click on "ok" for english/USA jumpstart works fine and never askes
another question.   question: what kinds of data go into the locale
table?  i have been using hostname and en_US and then i used hostname
and US/Eastern.  Neither worked.  Are my permissions incorrect for the
table?  what should they be set to?  does 2.7 use locale whereas 2.5.1
did not???

please help...

me in nc

 With Servers In California, Texas And Virginia - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

2. backup + run modes

3. Solaris 10 jumpstart. Rules processed but profile isnt.

4. easy for some

5. Solaris 7 JumpStart not following profile!

6. avoid a warning for each module on s390x

7. Multiple distributions on a single JumpStart install server

8. Help

9. custom jumpstart locale setting?

10. Jumpstart and NIS (yp) problem with 'locale'

11. Jumpstart - 2.6 - locale

12. Jumpstart asking for language+locale

13. Select several locales on jumpstart installation