Solaris 2 vs SunOS performance

Post by Tom Tani » Wed, 24 Aug 1994 10:49:15

This is somewhat of a longshot, but I'm in the process of devising a test
for an application here that runs much slower when built and run under S2
than the same app when built and run under SunOS 4.1.3.  (I'll be doing
further testing on two Sparc 10's w/64 Mb, one with SunOS, one with S2, sitting
right next to each other).

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar problem, and/or has any
ideas/hints (e.g. does S2 fragment and manage memory worse than SunOS; is
Sun's X less efficient, etc).

-Tom

Post by Mike Hanaf » Fri, 26 Aug 1994 09:54:40

>This is somewhat of a longshot, but I'm in the process of devising a test
>for an application here that runs much slower when built and run under S2
>than the same app when built and run under SunOS 4.1.3.  (I'll be doing
>further testing on two Sparc 10's w/64 Mb, one with SunOS, one with S2, sitting
>right next to each other).
>I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar problem, and/or has any
>ideas/hints (e.g. does S2 fragment and manage memory worse than SunOS; is
>Sun's X less efficient, etc).

If your program includes calls to Sun's Motif on Solaris, and if it includes
numerous TextField widgets, the slowdown can be explained by a Solaris
Motif bug that Sun has a bug id for, but does not seem too motivated to
fix. In my case, a simple test program that displayed several dialogs with
on the order of 30 TextFields runs 5.5 times slower on Solaris than on
SunOS 4.1.3(ICS Motif) with Sparc II hardware.

If the TextFields are changed to Label widgets the performance difference
is much less, but this is not exactly a good workaround ;)

Mike Hanafey
DuPont Experimental Station