Using Solaris 7 (Intel) with NetGear Ethernet card

Using Solaris 7 (Intel) with NetGear Ethernet card

Post by Sanu K Chack » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

Has anyone used Solaris 7 (Intel) with a NetGear FA310TX Fast Ethernet PCI
Card?

I am trying to find what the interface number would be?

With my 3COM Etherlink III, the Interface name was eth0, but with the
NetGear card, I cannot seem to find what the network Interface is called.

Hope there is someone out there who could help me.

Thank you and best regards,

Sanu...

Using Solaris 7 (Intel) with NetGear Ethernet card

Post by b.. » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi sanu, I think the netgear cards are based on a DEC chipset (probably
Tulip) which has been discussed several times in this news group. If you
do a power search (with the exact model of the card) you should be able
to find those articles. There is another thing I want to point out, is
that check the documentation if that card is NE2000 compatible. If it is
then you don't have to worry about it being a Tulip card or not. Then
you can use the name nei0 or nei1 (depending on the number of same cards
that you ahve). and follow the directions in this link

http://sun.pmbc.com/faq/s86faq.html

and go to topic 6.6

good luck.

Azharul

Quote:> Hi!

> Has anyone used Solaris 7 (Intel) with a NetGear FA310TX Fast Ethernet
PCI
> Card?

> I am trying to find what the interface number would be?

> With my 3COM Etherlink III, the Interface name was eth0, but with the
> NetGear card, I cannot seem to find what the network Interface is
called.

> Hope there is someone out there who could help me.

> Thank you and best regards,

> Sanu...

*telapia* please do not earse this part of my message
this is the handle word

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Hi sanu, I think the netgear cards are based on a DEC chipset (probably
>Tulip) which has been discussed several times in this news group. If you
>do a power search (with the exact model of the card) you should be able
>to find those articles. There is another thing I want to point out, is
>that check the documentation if that card is NE2000 compatible. If it is
>then you don't have to worry about it being a Tulip card or not. Then
>you can use the name nei0 or nei1

I have a different netgear card.
It comes up as dnet0.

either way, you should see something indicative either at boot time, or
with the output of "dmesg"

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Paul L » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>>Hi sanu, I think the netgear cards are based on a DEC chipset (probably
>>Tulip) which has been discussed several times in this news group. If you
>>do a power search (with the exact model of the card) you should be able
>>to find those articles. There is another thing I want to point out, is
>>that check the documentation if that card is NE2000 compatible. If it is
>>then you don't have to worry about it being a Tulip card or not. Then
>>you can use the name nei0 or nei1

>I have a different netgear card.
>It comes up as dnet0.

>either way, you should see something indicative either at boot time, or
>with the output of "dmesg"

Does solaris7 use the "latest" nics from netgear & linksys?
The "latest" versions of netgear & linksys uses the PNIC
chipset and is a "work-alike" with the DEC (tulip) chipset
as per the linux nic driver website.  The nics don't obviously
say what chipset is being used.

The need is that my 3com 905b died and solaris won't recognize
the ndc (sohoware) nic which is the MXIC(?) dec chipset work-alike.
I don't believe the 3com is worth the price and the "tulip"
is better; at least it ran on the linux box which the 3com didn't.

The solaris docs only mention the DECs and sun isn't concerned
with any driver updates.

Using Solaris 7 (Intel) with NetGear Ethernet card

Post by Clarence Wilkers » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Last Asante 10/100 pci boards I saw were made in Fall 98 and
had real Tulip chips, and work with Sol 86.

Seem to be 40-60 dollars at CompUSA.

--
Clarence Wilkerson      \ HomePage:     http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker

Dept. of Mathematics      \ Messages:   (765) 494-1903, FAX 494-0548
Purdue University,         \
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1395 \

Using Solaris 7 (Intel) with NetGear Ethernet card

Post by Jeff Goldne » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Try posting a message on the Netgear site, there was a tech support contact
page. You might get lucky

Jeff Goldner
Pathlight

Post by Timothy J. L » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

|Has anyone used Solaris 7 (Intel) with a NetGear FA310TX Fast Ethernet PCI
|Card?

Probably the successful ones were using the old ones that had the
"digital 21140" chip on them.  The newer ones with the "NETGEAR"
(Lite-On PNIC) chip are less likely to be supported.

1. Need HELP configuring my Netgear ethernet card for Solaris 7 Intel

Hopefully someone out there can help.  I am trying to get my Netgear
FA310-TX PCI 10/100Mbit network card working in Solaris 7 for Intel.

This card is listed in the hardware compatibility list but it has a #
sign indicating additions steps needed to configure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

 - Devin Conner, DBA
   Micron Electronics Inc.

2. CA-Systems Manager/Administrator with Unix (HP/UX)

3. Using NetGear FA310TX Ethernet Cards In Red Hat Linux 6.1

4. Chat problem

5. Netgear FA310TX Ethernet Card on Solaris?

6. CFLAGS

7. Is it possible to use a NetGear EA-201c Ethernet card with Solaris 7?

8. RedHat init and powerstatus

9. Netgear Ethernet cards and Solaris

10. Anybody using Intel 100Mbps PCI ethernet card ?

11. Using an Intel GB Ethernet PCI Card on Sun?

12. HELP w/ Slackware 1.2.0 using Intel Express Ethernet Card

13. Solaris ULTRA driver for Intel 100 ProB ethernet card