GNU readline 2.0 doesn't compile on Solaris 2.4

GNU readline 2.0 doesn't compile on Solaris 2.4

Post by Michael Lem » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 04:22:34

I tried to rebuild GNU's readline on Solaris 2.4 after the system people
ripped off SunOS and it doesn't work.  The version on prep.ai.mit.edu
doesn't compile, configure complaing about install.sh not there.  I put
one in and then the whole configure stuff doesn't seem to be programmed
properly.  It still tries to include <strings.h> in spite of configure
having defined HAVE_STRING_H etc.  I tried to hack my way through but
the executable eventually dies with segmentation violation.  I used
Sun's cc for this.

Anyone got a solution?

Thanks,
Michael
--
Michael Lemke
Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge UK

Post by Casper H.S. D » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 07:01:20

}I tried to rebuild GNU's readline on Solaris 2.4 after the system people
}ripped off SunOS and it doesn't work.  The version on prep.ai.mit.edu
}doesn't compile, configure complaing about install.sh not there.  I put
}one in and then the whole configure stuff doesn't seem to be programmed
}properly.  It still tries to include <strings.h> in spite of configure
}having defined HAVE_STRING_H etc.  I tried to hack my way through but
}the executable eventually dies with segmentation violation.  I used
}Sun's cc for this.

GNU readline works fine under Solaris 2.x.  Get bash or gdb.  They
both come with a working readline.

Casper

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 07:35:20

 >>}I tried to rebuild GNU's readline on Solaris 2.4 after the system people
[...]

 >What's wrong here?

Just a suspicion, but get rid of the ucb cruft.  Get it out of the way of
all compiles and life will seem much sweeter.

  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,chimera,nn,tin,jove,modems, free code is best!/________/ /  /  / /

Post by Casper H.S. D » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 18:58:04

>Thanks for the suggestion.  I got bash, compiled the whole thing and
>readline still doesn't work.  It seems to work in bash itself, at least
>./bash works.  But the little fileman program in the examples dir or
>this little program doesn't:
>Reading symbolic information for ./test
>Reading symbolic information for rtld /usr/lib/ld.so.1
>Reading symbolic information for /usr/ucblib/libucb.so.1

The readline library for bash/gdb is compiled in teh native environment,
you link it in the ucb environment.  That does not work.

Casper

Post by Michael Lem » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 21:43:55

> >>}I tried to rebuild GNU's readline on Solaris 2.4 after the system people
>[...]

> >What's wrong here?

>Just a suspicion, but get rid of the ucb cruft.  Get it out of the way of
>all compiles and life will seem much sweeter.

Well, the ucb stuff is the problem but Slowlaris requires it.  Sun's
-ltermcap uses rindex and friends which are only in ucb.  The trick is
to link -ltermcap -lc -lucb to force it to use everything from libc
which is also in libucb.  Thanks to Peter Tribble for telling me this
trick and to everybody else replying to my question.  I've now a working
readline (taken from bash) but the readline-2.0 distribution is
nevertheless not useable via configure and a make run.  It looks fairly
screwed up in fact as configuration is concerned.

Michael
--

Post by Casper H.S. D » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 09:07:05

>Well, the ucb stuff is the problem but Slowlaris requires it.  Sun's
>-ltermcap uses rindex and friends which are only in ucb.  The trick is
>to link -ltermcap -lc -lucb to force it to use everything from libc
>which is also in libucb.  Thanks to Peter Tribble for telling me this
>trick and to everybody else replying to my question.  I've now a working
>readline (taken from bash) but the readline-2.0 distribution is
>nevertheless not useable via configure and a make run.  It looks fairly
>screwed up in fact as configuration is concerned.

False.  The ucb stuff is not needed by Solaris 2.x.  libtermcap.a
does *not* use index and rindex.  Unless, of course, you're linking
with /usr/ucb/libtermcap.a.  But that's ridiculous.

Do you have /usr/ucblib in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  That might explain
it.  curses and termcap should live in /usr/ccs/lib and they should
be the first curses and termcap the linker finds, whether you use
gcc or cc.

/usr/ccs/lib/libtermcap.a is in package SUNWarc
system      SUNWarc        Archive Libraries

Casper

Post by Michael Lem » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 23:38:08

>>Well, the ucb stuff is the problem but Slowlaris requires it.  Sun's
>>-ltermcap uses rindex and friends which are only in ucb.  The trick is
>>to link -ltermcap -lc -lucb to force it to use everything from libc
>>which is also in libucb.  Thanks to Peter Tribble for telling me this
>>trick and to everybody else replying to my question.  I've now a working
>>readline (taken from bash) but the readline-2.0 distribution is
>>nevertheless not useable via configure and a make run.  It looks fairly
>>screwed up in fact as configuration is concerned.

>False.  The ucb stuff is not needed by Solaris 2.x.  libtermcap.a
>does *not* use index and rindex.  Unless, of course, you're linking
>with /usr/ucb/libtermcap.a.  But that's ridiculous.

>Do you have /usr/ucblib in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  That might explain
>it.

In fact, I do.  I removed it and things are running much more as
expected.  The system here is pretty much screwed up anyway.  They moved
us from SunOS to Solaris recently and there are tons of leftovers.

Quote:>curses and termcap should live in /usr/ccs/lib and they should
>be the first curses and termcap the linker finds, whether you use
>gcc or cc.

What (and when) the linker finds is a mystery to me anyway.
LD_LIBRAY_PATH, LD_RUN_PATH, ld -Rpath, libblah.so, libblah.so.n, ld -G
-h name and things I probably forgot.

Michael
--
Michael Lemke
Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge UK

1. GNU CC++ 2.0, has anybody got 'hello world' compiled?

GNU CC 2.0 compiles fine on my 320 (AIX 3.1.5).  GCC recompiles itself
and everything works great.  But what do you need to have a working
g++ environment?  What libraries do you use with it?  (Gcc-2.0 does
not come with any libraries.)  I pulled down libg++-1.39.0.tar.Z and
tried to compile it. There is a fair amount of hacking required to
port this library to the RIOS.  Many function prototypes with type
mismatches and stdio needs work.  There are probably more things that
need to be done but I haven't gotten passed stdio yet.

So is anybody out there zooming alot with functioning libraries,
compiling programs that work, and blissfully hacking away?  Or is
a usable G++ port to the RS/6000 still a ways off?

Releases used so far from (prep.ai.mit.edu):
-rw-r--r--  1 14910    wheel     6140489 Feb 22 04:18 gcc-2.0.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 14910    wheel     1165953 Feb 19  1991 libg++-1.39.0.tar.Z

2. EMAIL Systems for Enterprise Wide Use

3. Compiling tcsh on Solaris 2.4 w GNU CC 2.6.3?

4. Ver & Config of Cdrom.com machine

5. Compiling GNU fingerd on Solaris 2.4?

6. How do I use Proxy Block in Apache config ?

7. Here are Pre-compiled gnu binaries for solaris 2.4

8. Performa 5200

9. Elm 2.4 pl 21 on RS/6000 - compiles, doesn't work

10. GNU's in.fingerd & solaris 2.4

11. Compiling 'sup' on Solaris 2.4/2.5?

12. PROBLEM: my Aviator Webgear 2.4 doesn't work with kernel version 2.4.x

13. Solaris 2.4 x86 Install - Doesn't recognize CD