2.5 PPP dialin server IP number assignment question

2.5 PPP dialin server IP number assignment question

Post by Grant D. Pea » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to set up the Solaris 2.5 PPP to be a dynamic point to
point dialin server.  I have it working okay however there is one
thing that I would like to change.  I would like to have the server
assign the IP address for the remote ends, i.e., not have the IP
address hardwired in the configuration of the remote end but for
the remote end to obtain the number from the server.  I am not
necessarily asking if 2.5 PPP can assign IP numbers dynamically,
I just want to be able to specify what IP number a remote host gets
and possibly change it from time to time in a configuration file.

The peer_ip_address keyword seems like the logical place to specify
the remote end IP address however the man page states: this value
is ignored for point-to-point interfaces.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
        Grant.

2.5 PPP dialin server IP number assignment question

Post by schuerm.. » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to set up the Solaris 2.5 PPP to be a dynamic point to
>point dialin server.  I have it working okay however there is one
>thing that I would like to change.  I would like to have the server
>assign the IP address for the remote ends, i.e., not have the IP
>address hardwired in the configuration of the remote end but for
>the remote end to obtain the number from the server.  I am not
>necessarily asking if 2.5 PPP can assign IP numbers dynamically,
>I just want to be able to specify what IP number a remote host gets
>and possibly change it from time to time in a configuration file.

then what your asking for is a static IP configuration. read up on the
pppd man pages or get morningstar pppd.

Ryan Schuermann
PARANET, Inc
http://www.nwpros.com/~ryan
http://www.paranet.com

1. Dynamic Dialin Solaris 2.5 PPP?

Does anyone know if dynamic IP addressing on dialin PPP
works under Solaris 2.5?

We have read everything we can find, all the various FAQs,
etc, but are having no luck at all. One of the more clear
and concise pieces states that as of May, 95 it was not
working yet.

Any suggestions?

                                        Andrew MacRae
                                        InfoLane Corporation

2. Looking for used ethernet-card, exchange with others

3. PPP Server & Modem/Port IP Address Assignment

4. PCI-Modem and Linux

5. MST PPP for SCO Dialin PPP Server and Windows 95

6. knode + gpg + signing bug

7. slip/ppp dialin server with dhcp server

8. Calculators for Linux

9. dialin server connect OK but can't mail,ftp...to this server via ppp

10. How to make a ppp server assign ip number to its client?

11. IP Masq, PPP and valid IP numbers

12. Setting up a dial-up PPP connection w/ dynamic IP assignment

13. Q: Dynamic Assignment of IP Address in PPP