Need Help: buying a unix modem

Post by arul » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 14:15:20

Hello,
I am looking for suggestions/recommendations on buying a modem for a sun
sparc running Solaris.  It is basically to have dial in sessions only,
but two way  dialup capabilities would be good.  Cheap would also be
good.  Please email any suggestions/recommendations.
Thank you
Varnan

Post by Martha Starke » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 22:41:07

> Hello,
> I am looking for suggestions/recommendations on buying a modem for a sun
> sparc running Solaris.  It is basically to have dial in sessions only,
> but two way  dialup capabilities would be good.  Cheap would also be
> good.  Please email any suggestions/recommendations.
> Thank you
> Varnan

Get an external USRobotics or Hayes modem and you can't go wrong.

1. need help in buying a 386 Unix

Hi...I've been trying to determine a good Unix to buy for my needs.
After talking to a few vendors and mail order places my head is now
throughly spinning.

First off:  Do I need a developers system?  All I'm really interested
in is compiling sources off of the net and some small time C coding
of my own little utilities, etc.  Not interested in developing for
X or other graphical environments, databases, etc.
I assume a C compiler is included with all base system Unices?
If not, there's GCC (which I'd install anyways) but are there libraries
with it as well?

Basically other than compiling net sources I want NFS(Server/clinet) and
TCP/IP capabilities which seem to be an extremely expensive add on, atleast
for SCO. (695+695!!!)

From what I can gather, there are a few free X window environments on the
net already, so is there any reason to pay extra for one?
I'm not interested in running graphic applications, but it would be nice
to have resizable shell windows with mouse support to move them around,
cut/paste etc.

Any idea what vendor I should check out?  I'd like to spend less than $900
for base system+TCP+NFS.  I'm a student so some place with an edu discount
might be nice as well.

Sorry if I sound so green...:)   Thank...Charles

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/ Charles Carlson                                                              \

/"Got an AK-47 for his best friend.  Business, the American way!" -Queensryche \

2. Type 1 font install problem

3. Need a Hayes modem buy confirmation

4. Problem w/wu-ftpd

5. need recommandation: buying new modem

6. Help Setting Up New Embedded Linux System

7. Need advice in buying new modem

8. Solaris: ioctl() causing app lock-up

9. information to buy memory and modem needed

10. Need to buy a modem

11. Buying MODEM for Linux: advice needed

12. BUY STOCKS ON MONDAY, I want to buy linux stock on Monday, what should I buy ?