ls /net list all hosts on the net

Post by jean-claude pasque » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello, i'm in solaris 2.6 using NIS+
When i type :
#ls /net
The answer list all hosts in hosts table

When i type :
#ls /home
The answer list all users in passwd table

In solaris 2.5, only mounted active autofs (ie someone had type cd
/net/host or cd /home/username) were shown.
How can i do to get the same answer in Sol 2.6 ?

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hello, i'm in solaris 2.6 using NIS+
> When i type :
> #ls /net
> The answer list all hosts in hosts table

> When i type :
> #ls /home
> The answer list all users in passwd table

> In solaris 2.5, only mounted active autofs (ie someone had type cd
> /net/host or cd /home/username) were shown.
> How can i do to get the same answer in Sol 2.6 ?

The default line for /net in /etc/auto_master file is:

/net            -hosts          -nosuid,nobrowse

You, or somebody else, probably removed nobrowse option.

--

                  Opinions expressed herein are my own.
================================ooooO=Ooooo==============================

ls /net list all hosts on the net

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello, i'm in solaris 2.6 using NIS+
>When i type :
>#ls /net
>The answer list all hosts in hosts table

The thought crossed my mind that using DNS, ls /net
should list all the machines in the world...  :-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Post by Andrew Leed » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> >Hello, i'm in solaris 2.6 using NIS+
> >When i type :
> >#ls /net
> >The answer list all hosts in hosts table

> The thought crossed my mind that using DNS, ls /net
> should list all the machines in the world...  :-)

> --
> Andrew Gabriel
> Consultant Software Engineer

That is not the case - it appears to list machines in the local domain
(whatever you have defined in resolv.conf).

73,
Andy

Post by William P. Mall » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>> >Hello, i'm in solaris 2.6 using NIS+
>> >When i type :
>> >#ls /net
>> >The answer list all hosts in hosts table

>> The thought crossed my mind that using DNS, ls /net
>> should list all the machines in the world...  :-)

>> --
>> Andrew Gabriel
>> Consultant Software Engineer

>That is not the case - it appears to list machines in the local domain
>(whatever you have defined in resolv.conf).

The problem is the 2.6 -nobrowse switch in your /etc/auto_master file
has not been propagated to the NIS+ auto_master.org_dir table.  Make it
so (niscat auto_master.org_dir looks like your /etc/auto_master file)
and "ls /net" will do what you want.

Although "files" comes before "nisplus" in the default /etc/nsswitch.nisplus
file, the /etc/auto_master file has "+auto_master" first so it goes to NIS+
anyway (and thus does not see the "-nobrowse" options for /net and /home).

=wpm    William P. Malloy

1. what does -host means in "/net -hosts -nosuid,nobrowse" ?

hi,

i am new to solaris, i notice there is an entry in the auto_master file:-
/net     -hosts     -nosuid,nobrowse

What does the -host means? from /etc/hosts file?

If that is the case, does that mean that all server ipaddress in /etc/hosts
will be automaticall mount in /net?

Thanks

2. SunOS crash with no coredump

3. What the hell is net-pf-4 and net-pf-5 ?

4. 4.4 firewall curiosity

5. Linux, banet.net, & fast net access in Malden, MA

6. HP Deskjet 815

7. nmap from net a to net B, don't work, but ping yes

8. Installi 2.5 on two disks.

9. Problem compiling net-0.40/net-0.33

10. MkLinux: Net? No net?

11. /proc/net/tcp and /proc/net/udp

12. LTC E-NET/16 net card

13. Whats different between NET-2 and NET-3