Q: How to install Oracle GUI viewer to look at on-line documents?

Q: How to install Oracle GUI viewer to look at on-line documents?

Post by Charles Che » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

For the first time, I plan to do a brand-new installation of Oracle
7.3.2 on a Sun SPARC 10 running Solaris 2.5.1 with OpenWindows.  I am
trying
to install just the Oracle on-line documents and view them.  However, at
this point, I do not want to install the Oracle software itself yet.  I
have declared the required Oracle environment variables (ORACLE_HOME,
ORACLE_TERM, PATH, etc.) but not the rest of environment variables that
might be required.  Anyway, after I typed the following,

        % cd /cdrom/oracle/orainst
        % ./orainst m,

I get an error message saying that libXmlib.so.0 failed and
libXmlib.so.3
can't be opened.  I really need to know what I should do.  Also, any
information on how to do a clean, new installation of Oracle 7.3.2
on a Sun SPARC with Solaris 2.5.1 is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any prompt response ASAP.

                                                C. Chen
                                                11-26-96

Q: How to install Oracle GUI viewer to look at on-line documents?

Post by John D Groenve » Wed, 27 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>    % cd /cdrom/oracle/orainst
>    % ./orainst m,
>I get an error message saying that libXmlib.so.0 failed and
>libXmlib.so.3

Perhaps, (setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib;./orainstm)
will work, but real men use orainst and svrmgrl. :)
I believe you're better off using the Book viewer for Windows. It runs well
under Wabi for Solaris. oradocm is not stable, I dont know about oradocl.

Quote:>can't be opened.  I really need to know what I should do.  Also, any
>information on how to do a clean, new installation of Oracle 7.3.2
>on a Sun SPARC with Solaris 2.5.1 is greatly appreciated.

Ok, the Oracle installer in 7.3.2.1 is a bit *so, I suggest you just
install the software. Move ORACLE_HOME to some place sane (like
$ORACLE_BASE/product/7.3.2) and then install the 7.3.2.2 patch. You should
then be able to create a new database.

Best of luck,
John

Post by Jeff Be » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>For the first time, I plan to do a brand-new installation of Oracle
>7.3.2 on a Sun SPARC 10 running Solaris 2.5.1 with OpenWindows.  I am
>trying
>to install just the Oracle on-line documents and view them.  However, at
>this point, I do not want to install the Oracle software itself yet.  I
>have declared the required Oracle environment variables (ORACLE_HOME,
>ORACLE_TERM, PATH, etc.) but not the rest of environment variables that
>might be required.  Anyway, after I typed the following,
>    % cd /cdrom/oracle/orainst
>    % ./orainst m,

You can fire up an xterm and type ./orainst c instead of m to get the
character based installer, then install the "Unix installer and
Documentation Viewer" and go from there.  Don't pick Fresh install,
but rather pick the "install/upgrade software" option.  The fresh
install will try to create a database for you that should not be used
in production!!!!

Quote:>I get an error message saying that libXmlib.so.0 failed and
>libXmlib.so.3
>can't be opened.  I really need to know what I should do.  Also, any
>information on how to do a clean, new installation of Oracle 7.3.2
>on a Sun SPARC with Solaris 2.5.1 is greatly appreciated.

I recently installed 7.3.2 on an Enterprise2 running 2.5.1 without too
many problems.  Feel free to post specific questions and I'll try to
answer them.  Your best bet is to read the Oracle Installation Manual
as there is a step by step procedure to follow for pre-installation,
installation and post-installation that is rather well done.

Quote:>Thanks for any prompt response ASAP.
>                                            C. Chen
>                                            11-26-96

"By George, and I think I have enough money to buy George."
 --Thurston Howell, Gilligan's Island

Post by Yan Massar » Thu, 28 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I get an error message saying that libXmlib.so.0 failed and
> libXmlib.so.3 can't be opened.

Declare /usr/dt/lib in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH

(You must have the CDE installed)

--

---------------------------------------------------    _____________
Business Objects        | Yan Massart                 |      o      |

1. Q: How to display the Oracle on-line documentation viewer on a PC X-Terminal?

Hi.  I have installed the Oracle on-line documentation viewer that came
with Oracle 7.3.2.x on a Sun SPARC 10 running Solaris 2.5.1.  The viewer
executable file, $ORACLE_HOME/orainst/oradocm, works fine on the SPARC
10.  However, I have no success so far in trying to invoke oradocm in a
X-Window session on a Micron P133 Intel PC running Hummingbird Exceed 5
and Windows NT 3.51.  On the PC with Exceed set to single-window mode, I
could establish a x-window session with the SPARC 10 using
/usr/openwin/bin/xterm.  Then within the session window, I would invoke
the OpenLook window manager by typing, /usr/openwin/bin/olwm &, at the
command line.  But, when oradocm was invoked, I was told that wrong
window system and or term type is used.  I have tried to set ORACLE_TERM
to xsun5 (x-term shell) instead of sun5 (command tool).

I really would appreciate if anyone can respond to this problem
promptly.

                                                Sincerely,
                                                Charles Chen
                                                12-11-96

2. Looking for a comprehensive manual for solaris prtdiag report

3. Problems with Accton EN 1207D-TX card

4. JobConnectEurope & The Contractor's Club Now On-Line, Thousands of IT Jobs On-Line..

5. korn shell programming

6. REQ: Where can I get hard copies of OpenServer 5 on-line documents?

7. Sending output and accepting input with 'chat/pppd'

8. P6 documents on-line and available for download

9. free on-line 200+ megabyte documents archive

10. backup products for oracle on-line backup

11. Looking for some on-line dictionary

12. Looking for an On-line Help System