where can i get isof, telnet utilities

Post by Mario Desideri » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Dear Friends,

I am a young learning unix administrator. Please first of all, excuse me
if to many times I will ask for help in these newsgroups.

I administrate a server which is used by many programmers developing
server-client applications.

They have asked me to find out server or unix command that can help them
get iformation regarding a given process tcp-ip telnet connection that
they have launched.

In other, words the would like to know for a given process launched by a
client which going through many gateways and other servers arrives to
the server on which I want to get information of the tcp-ip telnet
connection established for that given process.

Please any advise on possible unix commands or libraries that the
programmers could use inside their programs or preferably something I
could use from UNIX server to get all the information available at ISO4
level.

For example if connection went down or is degrading try to narrow down
where the problem may be. Throughoutput of the connection in bytes,
different ip addresses to which connection is going through, etc. Maybe
not all information may be obtained.

So of you have recommended me to search for an utility called: isof

I can't fond it. Please give some URL or place from which I may
downloaded for Solaris platform. ANy other product similar please let me
know where can I get it free or by paying.

What about snoop ? I have no idea how to use it. Could it help for my
pruopose ?

I tried to look for traceroute on the solaris platform, there isn't.
Could you tell me from what package may I get it to isntall it on
solaris platform.

Excuse me if I am not so detailed. Please ask me if you need any further
information.

I will know for sure the destination and source ip addresses.

Can the unix command trace be used in any way, will it help me ? How can
I use it ? I can't find in the solaris system does it have a different
name ?

Thank you very much,

Mario Desiderio

where can i get isof, telnet utilities

Post by F. M » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi Mario,

Here is a pre-compiled and source traceroute for Solaris 2.5
 ftp://opcom.sun.ca/pub/freeware/traceroute-1.4a5.gz

 ftp://opcom.sun.ca/pub/freeware/SOURCES/traceroute-1.4a5.tar.gz

fm.

> Dear Friends,

> I tried to look for traceroute on the solaris platform, there isn't.
> Could you tell me from what package may I get it to isntall it on
> solaris platform.
> Mario Desiderio

where can i get isof, telnet utilities

Post by hans maye » Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:00:00

hi mario !

isof i don't know, but lsof does this, what you are looking for.
look for example at:
  ftp://pub/sunos_solaris/sparc/lsof.gz
                          src/lsof_4.16.tar.gz

Quote:

>So of you have recommended me to search for an utility called: isof

>I can't fond it. Please give some URL or place from which I may
>downloaded for Solaris platform. ANy other product similar please let me
>know where can I get it free or by paying.

where can i get isof, telnet utilities

Post by Vic Abe » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>isof i don't know, but lsof does this, what you are looking for.
>look for example at:
>  ftp://pub/sunos_solaris/sparc/lsof.gz
>                          src/lsof_4.16.tar.gz

The best place to get lsof is its home site:

  ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof

There you will always find the latest revision (now 4.22) and its
patches.  (There's one lsof 4.22 patch for Solaris.)

where can i get isof, telnet utilities

Post by Dave Howe » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

the masses:

:>
:>>isof i don't know, but lsof does this, what you are looking for.
:>>look for example at:
:>>  ftp://pub/sunos_solaris/sparc/lsof.gz
:>>                          src/lsof_4.16.tar.gz
:>
:>The best place to get lsof is its home site:
:>
:>  ftp://vic.cc.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof
:>
:>There you will always find the latest revision (now 4.22) and its
:>patches.  (There's one lsof 4.22 patch for Solaris.)
:>

FWIW, when I built lsof on my x86 solaris box, under 2.5.1 with gcc
2.7.2.3,   after running ./Configure solaris, I had to modify print.c
by adding the following after the #include <lsof.h>

#ifndef _RPC_RPCENT_H
#include <rpc/rpcent.h>
#endif /* <rpc/rpcent.h> */

because of a missing declaration of struct rpcent at line 213 of
print.c (r = (struct rpcent *)....)

It's funny, because as near as I could tell,  it should have been
included by the ../sun/dlsof.h file calling all the rpc/rpc*.h stuff.

Dave Howell
Software Engineer
ONSI

"At Absolute Zero, Resistance is Useless"

where can i get isof, telnet utilities

Post by Vic Abe » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>the masses:
>>There you will always find the latest revision (now 4.22) and its
>>patches.  (There's one lsof 4.22 patch for Solaris.)

>FWIW, when I built lsof on my x86 solaris box, under 2.5.1 with gcc
>2.7.2.3,   after running ./Configure solaris, I had to modify print.c
>by adding the following after the #include <lsof.h>
>#ifndef _RPC_RPCENT_H
>#include <rpc/rpcent.h>
>#endif /* <rpc/rpcent.h> */
>because of a missing declaration of struct rpcent at line 213 of
>print.c (r = (struct rpcent *)....)
>It's funny, because as near as I could tell,  it should have been
>included by the ../sun/dlsof.h file calling all the rpc/rpc*.h stuff.

DON'T MAKE THIS CHANGE!!!!  Including <rpc/rpcent.h> in this way
will cause compiler errors on Solaris systems that have a <netdb.h>
changed by a BIND installation, because that <netdb.h> defines some
of the same rpc* values defined in <rpc/rpcent.h>.  (Those rpc*
definitions are the ones needed in lsof's print.c source file.)
It's not possible to #include the BIND <netdb.h> and <rpc/rpcent.h>
in the same program without getting compiler errors.

Lsof 4.22 was tested and compiled on Solaris 2.5 and 2.5.1 systems
whose <netdb.h> header files were updated by BIND, but on a 2.6
systems with the stock Sun <netdb.h>.  Consequently, I thought
the need to #include <rpc/rpcent.h> was based on Solaris version.
Only belatedly did I realize that the problem was related to BIND's
installation of its own <netdb.h>.

Please don't install Dave's change.  Get the patch instead to the
lsof_4.22/dialects/sun/dlsof.h instead.  When it sees that the BIND
<netdb.h> is in use (_NETDB_H_ is defined) and avoids including
<rpc/rpcent.h>.  When the patch senses the Sun <netdb.h> is in use
(_NETDB_H is defined -- without the trailing underscore), it includes
<rpc/rpcent.h>.

where can i get isof, telnet utilities

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>DON'T MAKE THIS CHANGE!!!!  Including <rpc/rpcent.h> in this way
>will cause compiler errors on Solaris systems that have a <netdb.h>
>changed by a BIND installation, because that <netdb.h> defines some
>of the same rpc* values defined in <rpc/rpcent.h>.  (Those rpc*
>definitions are the ones needed in lsof's print.c source file.)
>It's not possible to #include the BIND <netdb.h> and <rpc/rpcent.h>
>in the same program without getting compiler errors.

People who replace /usr/include/netdb.h with a version from BIND
gdeserve all teh breakage they get.

Even if lsof still compiles, lots of otehr stuff will break because
of the major braindamage in BIND's installation procedure.

DonDon't mess with /usr/include and expect anything to compile there after.

Supporting this BIND braindamage is not a service to anyone.

Lots of other stfuf won't compile.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Vic Abe » Tue, 23 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

>>DON'T MAKE THIS CHANGE!!!!  Including <rpc/rpcent.h> in this way
>>will cause compiler errors on Solaris systems that have a <netdb.h>
>>changed by a BIND installation, because that <netdb.h> defines some
>>of the same rpc* values defined in <rpc/rpcent.h>.  (Those rpc*
>>definitions are the ones needed in lsof's print.c source file.)
>>It's not possible to #include the BIND <netdb.h> and <rpc/rpcent.h>
>>in the same program without getting compiler errors.
>People who replace /usr/include/netdb.h with a version from BIND
>gdeserve all teh breakage they get.

Agreed -- unless they didn't do the BIND install and are innocent
bystanders.

Quote:>Supporting this BIND braindamage is not a service to anyone.

As much as I agree that the BIND header file changes shouldn't be
made, I have to politely disagree with Casper here.  When I distribute
lsof I can't tell the installer that the system's header files must
be changed so lsof will compile -- as much as both Casper and I
would like to do that, it's not practical.  Lsof is distributed
under the "liberal acceptance, rigorous delivery" philosophy, making
it necessary for me to supply an lsof-only work-around.

1. It's not bad canned meat...

Thanks for your time.  We at I.S.P.O.T. (The International Society
for the Preservation Of Trees (URL http://www.local-touch.com/ISPOT/)) feel
that electronic messages are great for getting the word out while preserving
our friend the tree.  Anyway, please stop by our home page!

Thanks again!

SusieQ

2. Wordperfect 8 and console characters

3. (no subject)

4. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

5. Installing on an AS200

6. CGI: apache canned response

7. Adding Sound Card Support

8. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

9. Canned "ping"

10. Any Canned Class code?

11. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?

12. Linux utility similar to telnet?