POP3 mailer for solaris 2.x

Post by Michael E. Bur » Tue, 20 Dec 1994 14:29:11

Has anyone installed a POP3 mailer for Solaris 2.3 or 2.4?

What do I need to do?  What changes do I need to make in my
sendmail?

I apologize in advance if this is a coomon question and I just
missed the answer.

Mike Burke

POP3 mailer for solaris 2.x

Post by Pradit Pitaksathienk » Wed, 21 Dec 1994 11:52:33

: Has anyone installed a POP3 mailer for Solaris 2.3 or 2.4?

: What do I need to do?  What changes do I need to make in my
: sendmail?

: I apologize in advance if this is a coomon question and I just
: missed the answer.

        Not common , I need to know too 8)
        pradit.

POP3 mailer for solaris 2.x

Post by Justin Newt » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 00:43:48

>: Has anyone installed a POP3 mailer for Solaris 2.3 or 2.4?

>: What do I need to do?  What changes do I need to make in my
>: sendmail?

>: I apologize in advance if this is a coomon question and I just
>: missed the answer.

Ok,
        Its pretty easy.  I have it running on the system I am running
now, and also on the system I worked on at at my previous job.  All you
have to do is compile the pop daemon and follow the instructions that
come with it as to which system files to edit.  (I believe you have to
edit /etc/services, although I am not sure).  Just archie for popper or
pop3d, compile, and away you go.

justin

POP3 mailer for solaris 2.x

Post by Amaresh Jos » Sat, 24 Dec 1994 03:42:02

Quote:> Has anyone installed a POP3 mailer for Solaris 2.3 or 2.4?
> What do I need to do?  What changes do I need to make in my
> sendmail?

the following site has the source code for the berkeley
pop server modified for solaris2.x:
ftp.uoregon.edu in /pub/Solaris2.x/src/pop??.tar.Z

you might also want to check out ftp.qualcomm.com,
look in the ~/eudora/unix directory. they also have
several variations of berkeley's server. i haven't
had any luck with them, but i haven't tried out their
latest version. hope it helps.

amaresh
--
Amaresh R. Joshi             | 'Across the pale parabola of joy.'

POP3 mailer for solaris 2.x

Post by Horst von Bra » Wed, 04 Jan 1995 02:13:35

>: Has anyone installed a POP3 mailer for Solaris 2.3 or 2.4?

We installed the one from ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/quest/unix/servers/popper/
on SunOS-5.3 using gcc-2.6.3.  It is actively being maintained. No trouble
compiling/installing, seems to work fine (hasn't got too much use yet).
There are mirror sites, look for qpop (For instance,
ftp://ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/Mail/qpop/).  The pine News/Mail package also
includes POP servers (I haven't tried them). You might also ask the mail
groups (comp.mail.sendmail, comp.mail.pine, there sure are others)

Good luck!

PS: Should this go into the FAQ?
--

Departamento de Informatica                     Fono: +56 32 626364 x 431
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria        Fax:  +56 32 625217