setting system stack size in /etc/system

setting system stack size in /etc/system

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 05:02:32

>We are running the Tivoli Storage Manager Backup Client on a SS5 and
>Solaris 8. It seems that this client is 'interfering' with the NFS
>server after running for a while ( > 1 month). The installation
>instructions for the client say:

I'm not sure what the question is, but a larger stack size should
not interfere with anything in the system.

A stacksize that is too small, OTOH, will cause panics.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

setting system stack size in /etc/system

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 05:41:17

>What do these lines (in particular the 'set semsys... lines) mean?

The semsys parameters increase some static limits in the semsys
subsystem.

Quote:>> A stacksize that is too small, OTOH, will cause panics.
>This answers the second question: What happens, if the stack is too
>small? Is a panic the unavoidable consequence or could there be any
>strange side effects?

A panic will be unavoidable.  Stacks are all mapped with one redzone page;
an overflow will cause a panic.

Quote:>For the third question I have to reboot the machine first. I remember
>that I get an error message saying that one of these variables is
>unknown. But right now (21:25) it is not yet late enough in the evening
>to shutdown the server, and the message files from the last reboot are
>gone.

You may try:

        echo '$<msgbuf' | adb -k

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

setting system stack size in /etc/system

Post by David Robinso » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:25:55

Quote:> The messages is:

> sorry, variable svc_run_stksize is not defined in the 'rpcmod' module

Yup, that is not a valid variable. In S8 it is svc_default_stksize.
To answer your other question, running off the end of a stack will
panic the machine as kernel stacks are surrounded by unmapped
pages which will trap if touched.

        -David

1. How do i set stack size in /etc/system??

Hi,

How do i set the system default stack size in /etc/system

I can set the number of file descriptors, with the following entries
in the /etc/system file

set rlim_fd_max=4096
set rlim_fd_cur=1024

But how do I set the stack size. With ulimit I know how, but how do I do
it in the /etc/system file? where can I find the info? I looked already
in so many places to some kind of 'rlim_xxxx_cur' where xxx is something
like 'ss' or 'stack' or 'ssize' or ...., but could not find anything.

time(seconds)        unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
data(kbytes)         2097148
stack(kbytes)        8192          <<<----
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
nofiles(descriptors) 1024
vmemory(kbytes)      unlimited

8192

I want to change the 8192 to 18000.
I know that I can do it via the /etc/profile file, with an 'ulimit -s 18000'
command, but I want to konw the name for it, to set it in the /etc/system
file.

Anybody....???

2. Help-me for a BIG SENDMAIL problem

3. set a = b or set a=b in /etc/system?

4. Lemmy 3.0

5. Possibel to implement system , such that Kernel stack grows on top of User Stack

6. keylogin/keylogout problem

7. /etc/system variable for max process size?

8. Adding a 5th SCSI-disk on SCO Enterprise System 3.0

9. system parameters in /etc/system not applied

10. Changing MSGPOOL size in /etc/system...HELP!?!

11. Cannot open system file etc/system

12. setting duplex: need sun doc confirming /etc/system better than ndd

13. Solaris 7 ignoring /etc/system: set sd:sd_max_throttle ?