HEADS UP: Solaris x86 kernel versions 108529-13 and above are BROKEN (was "cannot ping")

Post by Alex Keah » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:20:04

> Hey,

> I've just installed Solaris 8 x86 Recommended Cluster Patch onto Solaris 8
> 10-10 Intel.  After the install, I can not ping anything on the network.
> 'ifconfig -a' reveals that the interfaces are up, but in reality are
> completely useless.  Any ideas anyone?

> Thanks,

> Caybar

This message summarises the problem:  all kernel versions beginning
with 108529-13 (circa 02/02) are BROKEN!!!   If you are running
production machines on 108529-12, DO NOT UPGRADE!

I have narrowed the brokenness down to ACPI:  the fix below works for
me; however, use this information at your own risk!  If it causes your
computer to blow up, I will be not held responsible.

Add this line to either

        /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc
or
        /platform/i86pc/boot/solaris/bootenv.rc

------------------ BEGIN COPY ----------------------
setprop acpi-user-options '0x2'
------------------- END COPY -----------------------

Alternatively, run the following command:

/usr/platform/i86pc/sbin/eeprom acpi-user-options=0x2

This effectively disables ACPI and makes your network
interfaces usable again!

I am appalled that this problem is not even mentioned on
SunSolve (never mind a patch or documented workaround!)

Cheers,

A.K.

Post by Robert Mullen » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:45:03

> > Hey,

> > I've just installed Solaris 8 x86 Recommended Cluster Patch onto Solaris 8
> > 10-10 Intel.  After the install, I can not ping anything on the network.
> > 'ifconfig -a' reveals that the interfaces are up, but in reality are
> > completely useless.  Any ideas anyone?

> > Thanks,

> > Caybar

> This message summarises the problem:  all kernel versions beginning
> with 108529-13 (circa 02/02) are BROKEN!!!   If you are running
> production machines on 108529-12, DO NOT UPGRADE!

> I have narrowed the brokenness down to ACPI:  the fix below works for
> me; however, use this information at your own risk!  If it causes your
> computer to blow up, I will be not held responsible.

> Add this line to either

>    /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc
> or
>    /platform/i86pc/boot/solaris/bootenv.rc

> ------------------ BEGIN COPY ----------------------
> setprop acpi-user-options '0x2'
> ------------------- END COPY -----------------------

> Alternatively, run the following command:

> /usr/platform/i86pc/sbin/eeprom acpi-user-options=0x2

> This effectively disables ACPI and makes your network
> interfaces usable again!

> I am appalled that this problem is not even mentioned on
> SunSolve (never mind a patch or documented workaround!)

> Cheers,

> A.K.

Our install still works fine..but as to the problem not appearing
on SunSolve it is not surprising given Sun's attitude towards Solaris
Intel customers.  I figure the stuff about them supporting SOlaris 8 for the
next 5 years actually equates to them putting out an updated video driver
once a year or something like that.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:01:59

> This message summarises the problem:  all kernel versions beginning
> with 108529-13 (circa 02/02) are BROKEN!!!   If you are running
> production machines on 108529-12, DO NOT UPGRADE!

[/]# uname -a
SunOS tar 5.8 Generic_108529-14 i86pc i386 i86pc
[/]# ping yahoo.com
yahoo.com is alive

Post by Mike's Lis » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:32:42

>> > Hey,

>> > I've just installed Solaris 8 x86 Recommended Cluster Patch onto Solaris 8
>> > 10-10 Intel.  After the install, I can not ping anything on the network.
>> > 'ifconfig -a' reveals that the interfaces are up, but in reality are
>> > completely useless.  Any ideas anyone?

>> > Thanks,

>> > Caybar

>> This message summarises the problem:  all kernel versions beginning
>> with 108529-13 (circa 02/02) are BROKEN!!!   If you are running
>> production machines on 108529-12, DO NOT UPGRADE!

>> I have narrowed the brokenness down to ACPI:  the fix below works for
>> me; however, use this information at your own risk!  If it causes your
>> computer to blow up, I will be not held responsible.

>> Add this line to either

>>        /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc
>> or
>>        /platform/i86pc/boot/solaris/bootenv.rc

>> ------------------ BEGIN COPY ----------------------
>> setprop acpi-user-options '0x2'
>> ------------------- END COPY -----------------------

>> Alternatively, run the following command:

>> /usr/platform/i86pc/sbin/eeprom acpi-user-options=0x2

>> This effectively disables ACPI and makes your network
>> interfaces usable again!

>> I am appalled that this problem is not even mentioned on
>> SunSolve (never mind a patch or documented workaround!)

>> Cheers,

>> A.K.

>Our install still works fine..but as to the problem not appearing
>on SunSolve it is not surprising given Sun's attitude towards Solaris
>Intel customers.  I figure the stuff about them supporting SOlaris 8 for the
>next 5 years actually equates to them putting out an updated video driver
>once a year or something like that.

If you would of search for the info. you would of found...and ACPI would
of been discussed (below) and search for ACPI at docs.sun.com --sunsolve
is not the only site you should search/check.

http://access1.sun.com/FAQSets/Solarisx86FAQs.html

- Mike

Post by Robert Mullen » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 05:25:18

> >> This message summarises the problem:  all kernel versions beginning
> >> with 108529-13 (circa 02/02) are BROKEN!!!   If you are running
> >> production machines on 108529-12, DO NOT UPGRADE!

> >> I have narrowed the brokenness down to ACPI:  the fix below works for
> >> me; however, use this information at your own risk!  If it causes your
> >> computer to blow up, I will be not held responsible.

> >> Add this line to either

> >>   /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc
> >> or
> >>   /platform/i86pc/boot/solaris/bootenv.rc

> >> ------------------ BEGIN COPY ----------------------
> >> setprop acpi-user-options '0x2'
> >> ------------------- END COPY -----------------------

> >> Alternatively, run the following command:

> >> /usr/platform/i86pc/sbin/eeprom acpi-user-options=0x2

> >> This effectively disables ACPI and makes your network
> >> interfaces usable again!

> >> I am appalled that this problem is not even mentioned on
> >> SunSolve (never mind a patch or documented workaround!)

> >> Cheers,

> >> A.K.

> >Our install still works fine..but as to the problem not appearing
> >on SunSolve it is not surprising given Sun's attitude towards Solaris
> >Intel customers.  I figure the stuff about them supporting SOlaris 8 for the
> >next 5 years actually equates to them putting out an updated video driver
> >once a year or something like that.

> If you would of search for the info. you would of found...and ACPI would
> of been discussed (below) and search for ACPI at docs.sun.com --sunsolve
> is not the only site you should search/check.

> http://access1.sun.com/FAQSets/Solarisx86FAQs.html

> - Mike

I had no reason to search for it as I don't have the problem..I still
stand by my statement that I have serious doubts as to whether Sun
will "really" support Solaris Intel for the next 5 years.

HEADS UP: Solaris x86 kernel versions 108529-13 and above are BROKEN (was "cannot ping")

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:25:49

Quote:>I had no reason to search for it as I don't have the problem..I still
>stand by my statement that I have serious doubts as to whether Sun
>will "really" support Solaris Intel for the next 5 years.

well, there's one way to find out. See if they'll let you buy a solaris x86
support contract still.

http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

Post by Robert Mullen » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:04:57

> >I had no reason to search for it as I don't have the problem..I still
> >stand by my statement that I have serious doubts as to whether Sun
> >will "really" support Solaris Intel for the next 5 years.

> well, there's one way to find out. See if they'll let you buy a solaris x86
> support contract still.

That's not what I mean..I just don't think they have enough Solaris Intel
personnel anymore to truly live up to the support you'd expect.  I am
sure they'd still let you buy one.

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:36:15

>> well, there's one way to find out. See if they'll let you buy a solaris x86
>> support contract still.

>That's not what I mean..I just don't think they have enough Solaris Intel
>personnel anymore to truly live up to the support you'd expect.

What do YOU expect as support? you raised the issue, after all.

"Program me new drivers" isnt 'support'. it's new features.

98% of solaris x86 support, is identical to solaris sparc support.
So yes, they have PLENTY of personnel to offer solaris x86 support
contracts.

Post by Robert Mullen » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 04:47:01

> >> well, there's one way to find out. See if they'll let you buy a solaris x86
> >> support contract still.

> >That's not what I mean..I just don't think they have enough Solaris Intel
> >personnel anymore to truly live up to the support you'd expect.

> What do YOU expect as support? you raised the issue, after all.

> "Program me new drivers" isnt 'support'. it's new features.

> 98% of solaris x86 support, is identical to solaris sparc support.
> So yes, they have PLENTY of personnel to offer solaris x86 support
> contracts.

I do consider updated drivers as support..at least a minimal set.
In 3 years it will be very difficult to replace a lot of Intel
hardware and if something breaks and I have to replace a video card
or NIC I would expect that if I bought a Sun support contract (we
won't
be as we have decided that our best solution is to transition or x86
boxes to Linux as we can) that Sun would keep at least one or two
reasonably current
cards supported.  Thwy way they do now with occassional patches to
support
different ATI chips..etc.

Do you really think that if I bought a new Solaris 8 Intel support
contract
that Sun would be anywhere near as diligent about fixing an x86 only
bug (on 2002 hardware) as it would on SPARC?  We have no faith that
they would
and hence feel it would be a waste to buy the contract.  We'll survive
on the free patches until we can get everything transitioned which
may take some time as we have a 3rd part special purpose PCI card
that has a Solaris x86 only driver.

1. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

Hi,

When i start a shell under X, i can type all characters on my keyboard,
the same when i start the simple editor, but when i start Forte (Java
IDE) written in Java i cant use the "(", ")", "{", "}" and allmost none
of the characters that are located on the same key as a number...

Does anybody have an idea what i can do about that... could it be
something with programs written in Java..?

Mvg,
Erwin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Compiling ssh-2.2.0 under AIX 4.3.3

3. strange output of "who am I" & "last" on solaris 9

4. VPATH & Solaris make

5. strange output of "who am i" & "last" in Solaris 9

6. The Linux T-Shirt!...is anyone interested?

7. Can ping but cannot telnet ("no route to host")

8. lspci/pciutils maintainer?

9. Solaris 8 breaks setlocale(LC_ALL,"fr")

11. "who am i" on x86 vs Sparc Solaris 2.4

12. Patchlevel 13 alpha seems to break my "talk"