Solaris Boot Up Question

Post by Alan S. Agabo » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I change the shell of root account to csh but forgot to change the path
to /bin/csh. Instead it's /sbin/csh. Naturally I can't login as root
because I don't have a valid shell. With other sun machine, I can just
reboot on a cdrom, edit the password file and reboot as normal again.
This happen in ultra 5 box. everytime i boot from cdrom, the system
can't read the kernel/unix file. I tried /kernel/genunix and it's still
the same. The box came with 2.5.1 pre-installed on them. I have 3 ultra
5 and they are all the same.
Question is, how can I boot up the system on cdrom. I saw a command boot
cdrom -sw in
one of the mail in this newgroup. what does -sw mean?
Plese help and thanks.
Regards, tracker..

Solaris Boot Up Question

Post by Stelios Daskalaki » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

boot cdrom -sw means sinngle user mode + write
stelios

>Hi,
>I change the shell of root account to csh but forgot to change the path
>to /bin/csh. Instead it's /sbin/csh. Naturally I can't login as root
>because I don't have a valid shell. With other sun machine, I can just
>reboot on a cdrom, edit the password file and reboot as normal again.
>This happen in ultra 5 box. everytime i boot from cdrom, the system
>can't read the kernel/unix file. I tried /kernel/genunix and it's still
>the same. The box came with 2.5.1 pre-installed on them. I have 3 ultra
>5 and they are all the same.
>Question is, how can I boot up the system on cdrom. I saw a command boot
>cdrom -sw in
>one of the mail in this newgroup. what does -sw mean?
>Plese help and thanks.
>Regards, tracker..

Solaris Boot Up Question

Post by Kevin S » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

One thing we had to do on our Solaris machine was, in the OpenBoot menu,
setenv boot-file /platform/sun4u/kernel/unix.

you can do this temporarily at the 'ok' prompt by "boot disk0
/platform/sun4u/kernel/unix".  You may want to check on the order of the
paramters to boot (help boot at the ok prompt).

-Kevin