limiting multiple logins by same user

Post by Alan Cunningha » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 03:02:36

I have checked the FAQs but am likely not using the correct
search phrases.

We have built a system using Solaris 2.3. We find that it would
be nice to limit the number of simultaneous logins per user account
to one (for some user groups).

Does anyone have any suggestion on how this might be implemented?

Thanks, as always for the help.
===============
D. Alan Cunningham, KD4ESE, Principal Engineer NASA Spacelink Project
Computer Sciences Corporation, PrISMS at NASA/MSFC Phone:205-544-3091

Snail Mail: P.O. Box 240005  MS-301,       Huntsville, AL  35824-6405
Location:  Bldg 4727 Room 112, Marshall Space Flight Center, AL 35812
NASA Spacelink  Modems:205-895-0028  Internet:spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov

limiting multiple logins by same user

Post by Gabriel N. Schaff » Sat, 14 Jan 1995 21:41:47

Quote:>We have built a system using Solaris 2.3. We find that it would
>be nice to limit the number of simultaneous logins per user account
>to one (for some user groups).

>Does anyone have any suggestion on how this might be implemented?

Seems to me it would be easy enough to make a Login program that checks to
make sure you're not logged in before it continues.

However, you would have to make sure that utmp alway knows when you have
logged out.  This may require a patch.
--

   / ___  __   /_   __ http://www.*con.com/~gabe __   __
  /    / ___/ /  ) /__)      ) /   /  ) ___/ /  /   /__) /__)

Post by Mike Elli » Sun, 15 Jan 1995 03:31:12

>>We have built a system using Solaris 2.3. We find that it would
>>be nice to limit the number of simultaneous logins per user account
>>to one (for some user groups).

>>Does anyone have any suggestion on how this might be implemented?

>Seems to me it would be easy enough to make a Login program that checks to
>make sure you're not logged in before it continues.

>However, you would have to make sure that utmp alway knows when you have
>logged out.  This may require a patch.

This doesn't stop them from rsh'ing to the machine and running xterm with
it's display set to their machine. This doesn't require a log in at all.

-mje

Post by Matus Uhlar Softwa » Sat, 21 Jan 1995 16:21:02

: I have checked the FAQs but am likely not using the correct
: search phrases.

: We have built a system using Solaris 2.3. We find that it would
: be nice to limit the number of simultaneous logins per user account
: to one (for some user groups).

: Does anyone have any suggestion on how this might be implemented?

Maybe it will be better to limit users from number of pty's

I think you must change kernel :-S
--
Matus Uhlar (Fantomas on IRC),
Computer Centre of Technical University in Kosice, Slovakia

Post by Tech Log » Wed, 25 Jan 1995 14:10:32

: : I have checked the FAQs but am likely not using the correct
: : search phrases.

: : We have built a system using Solaris 2.3. We find that it would
: : be nice to limit the number of simultaneous logins per user account
: : to one (for some user groups).

: : Does anyone have any suggestion on how this might be implemented?

: Maybe it will be better to limit users from number of pty's

: I think you must change kernel :-S
: --
: Matus Uhlar (Fantomas on IRC),
: Computer Centre of Technical University in Kosice, Slovakia

I've done this with a shell wrapper, basically, the user gets the shell
that I've made and all the shell does is check to see if they are on
already and if so, deny access.  Otherwise, exec the real shell.

Huy Nguyen
--
UNDER Construction

1. Limiting multiple concurrent logins for the WU-FTP server

Dear All

One of linux server (REDHAT LINUX 7.2) Our System is requested too
many FTP login sessions from users, therefore, I want to limit the max
sessions for the same user account by 2 ~3.
I tried to configure it in the /etc/security/limits.conf but its not
very effective.

Please help us in configuring the same

Regards,

Vijeth Hegde

2. Sun Teamware, SCCS and Modification Requests

3. limiting users to so many logins

4. Routing

5. Is it possible to limit number of login for one user

6. recovering rootvg members after restore from backup (mksysb)

7. Limiting a user login to 1 host

8. bash behavior on other unixes??

9. csh script to limit user login access

10. limit users to certain login methods

11. Limit Logins to One Per User.

12. limiting pop user logins

13. How to limit user logins.