Poor Solaris 2.6 NFS client performance

Post by Jeff Katch » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've been seeing very poor NFS client performance (both NFS3 and NFS2) under
Solaris 2.6.  I have two identical Ultra 1/170s, each connected to an NFS
server over switched 100MBit Ethernet.  One machine is a vanilla 2.5.1
installation (right off the CD) and the other is 2.6.  Certain performance
metrics like file creation and especially deletion are an order of magnitude
slower under 2.6.  Even after patching my 2.6 system to current levels, the
performance is just as bad (if not worse).  A bit of kernel tuning (using
ncsize, nra, and max_threads) doubles the 2.6 performance, but it's still
much worse than 2.5.1.

I've rummaged through the Sun Support database and there's quite a few
references to this poor performance.  (All bugs were closed as "not a bug".)

Thanks for any input,

Jeffrey Katcher

1. Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.

I'm having a real problem with very slow NFS write performance from Linux
clients running Redhat 4.2, 5.0, and 5.1 to servers running NFS version
3.0.  The servers indicate that the Linux clients are mounted using NFS v2.
The servers I have are running Solaris 2.5.1 and 2.6 on both Intel and SPARC
hardware. Others have reported the same problem with Alpha servers running
Digital UNIX and NFS v3. My servers are all up to date on patches. The
network (Fast Ethernet) is not the problem as I have this problem on two
isolated networks at different locations. NFS read performance is normal.

I have increased the rsize and wsize to 8192, which doubled the performance,
and have played with every option I thought would help.  Now the writes are
only a factor of 10 times slower than FTP'ing the file and 6 times slower
than other clients running Solaris 2.5.1 and NFS v3 using TCP.

I'm getting desperate as everyone is screaming about the slow performance.
I'm hoping that someone has solved this problem. Surely I don't have to put
extra disks of home directories on these Linux boxes to be able to use NFS.
I just installed Redhat 5.1 hoping that would fix my problem, but its no
different. Why is it taking so long to add NFS version 3.0 protocols to
Linux?  It has been available from other vendors for well over a year. The
performance of version 3.0 using TCP is significantly faster than version
2.

Thanks in advance for any help. I will post a summary if I find a solution.

Denny Morse

2. Binding HARD disks

3. 2.6 x86 poor NFS server performance

4. cmi8330 sound card

5. poor NFSv3/tcp write performance Solaris 2.6 <-> Digital Unix 4.0

6. Need HELP on NCSA / Netscape problems...

7. Solaris 2.6 NFS server, Solaris 8 client

8. Booting a Sparc5 from a Sparc20-disk

9. Poor NFS client performance on AIX 4.3.3

10. poor NFS client performance under linux?

11. Poor NFS client performance on 2.4.18?

12. poor client-side NFS write performance

13. Poor linux NFS client write performance