how to combine /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin etc ??

how to combine /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin etc ??

Post by Jason N » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi !!

How can I combine /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin and the rest, such as man,
lib, include...etc ??

I created a soft link so /usr/local/bin -> /usr/bin, but when i install
stuff from sunfreeware using pkgadd it always delete my soft link and
replace it with a directory...

i don't want to get the source code to compile on my machine because for
unknow reasons programs and library  compiles but can never be
used...either has no response or a seg fault from the library call...

Any help would be appriciated :) Thank you !

Jason

how to combine /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin etc ??

Post by ho.. » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

The logical ;) solution is to add /usr/local/bin to your shell's PATH
variable and, if necessary, add /usr/local/lib to your shell's
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.  You should take what pkgadd is doing as a sign
that what you're doing is not a very good idea.  Let pkgadd, etc put
things where they're supposed to be and update your variables as
necessary.  Doing so will make your system very happy.  =)  You'd probably
also see your library/compilation problems go away, too.

> Hi !!
> How can I combine /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin and the rest, such as man,
> lib, include...etc ??
> I created a soft link so /usr/local/bin -> /usr/bin, but when i install
> stuff from sunfreeware using pkgadd it always delete my soft link and
> replace it with a directory...
> i don't want to get the source code to compile on my machine because for
> unknow reasons programs and library  compiles but can never be
> used...either has no response or a seg fault from the library call...
> Any help would be appriciated :) Thank you !
> Jason

Hogan Whittall
This is formal notice under California Assembly Bill 1629, enacted
9/26/98 that any UCE sent to my email address will be billed $50
per incident to the legally allowed maximum of $25,000.

1. /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/bin etc

Hi,

Could somebody give me a reason why I shouldn't create one directory for binaries say /usr/bin, move all files from /bin and /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin and make /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin symlinks to /usr/bin (and the same thing for the /sbin /usr/sbin and /usr/local/sbin)?

I'm building my own 'distribution' from sources and it made me wonder why I should have three bin dirs in my case (there's no need for system dependant/independant seperation since this box  isn't on any network (other than Internet) and no other people besides me login to this box).

I'm sure there are several good reasons, but I wonder if they would apply to me in this case.

Thanks for any answer and if it's not a problem for you, i'd like to receive a response via email.

Gerard  Beekmans

2. Preview pane in KMail

3. /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /sbin or /opt/bin, /var/opt/bin - I'm confused.

4. Linux changed my FAT table desc??

5. /usr/bin/ls /usr/ucb/ls /usr/local/bin/ls

6. Java

7. /usr/local/bin/perl ->/usr/bin/perl

8. screend

9. /usr/local/bin vs. /usr/bin

10. Why /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin for gnu stuff?

11. setting executable path to both /usr/local/bin/ & /usr/bin/

12. #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w || /usr/bin/perl -w

13. Difference between /bin and /usr/local/bin and */bin?