Problem upgrading from Solaris 9 to 10 on Ultra 60

Problem upgrading from Solaris 9 to 10 on Ultra 60

Post by Craig Ian Dewic » Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:57:50

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do a Solaris 10 upgrade on an Ultra 60 system with 9
currently installed.

The process goes fine during the intitial phase entering system config
data but as soon as the install process tries to move on, it's giving an
error and refusing to continue.

The error message printed in the install console window is:

---- start ----

runCmd error in /usr/sbin/sysidput with output:
Unable to run cmd: /usr/sbin/sysidput
No sysidcfg found

---- stop ----

Any ideas what causes this and how to work around it? Looks like a utility
application is missing, but is it missing in the existing Solaris 9
installation or the Solaris 10 installation being run off the Solaris 10
1-of-4 CD?

Thanks,

Craig.

--

  APANA Sydney Deputy Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney POP)
  Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world

Post by pete » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 01:03:18

> Hi everyone,

> I'm trying to do a Solaris 10 upgrade on an Ultra 60 system with 9
> currently installed.

> The process goes fine during the intitial phase entering system config
> data but as soon as the install process tries to move on, it's giving an
> error and refusing to continue.

> The error message printed in the install console window is:

> ---- start ----

> runCmd error in /usr/sbin/sysidput with output:
> Unable to run cmd: /usr/sbin/sysidput
> No sysidcfg found

> ---- stop ----

> Any ideas what causes this and how to work around it? Looks like a
> utility application is missing, but is it missing in the existing
> Solaris 9 installation or the Solaris 10 installation being run off the
> Solaris 10 1-of-4 CD?

> Thanks,

> Craig.

open a shell during the install or break out of the install and
cd /usr/sbin
run
df -k .
where is /usr/sbin mounted
if its on a local disk then its solaris 9
if its on a CD partition then its solaris 10
regards peter

Post by Craig Ian Dewic » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 07:49:02

>> Hi everyone,

>> I'm trying to do a Solaris 10 upgrade on an Ultra 60 system with 9
>> currently installed.

>> The process goes fine during the intitial phase entering system config
>> data but as soon as the install process tries to move on, it's giving an
>> error and refusing to continue.

>> The error message printed in the install console window is:

>> ---- start ----

>> runCmd error in /usr/sbin/sysidput with output:
>> Unable to run cmd: /usr/sbin/sysidput
>> No sysidcfg found

>> ---- stop ----

>> Any ideas what causes this and how to work around it? Looks like a
>> utility application is missing, but is it missing in the existing
>> Solaris 9 installation or the Solaris 10 installation being run off the
>> Solaris 10 1-of-4 CD?

>> Thanks,
>open a shell during the install or break out of the install and
>cd /usr/sbin
>run
>df -k .
>where is /usr/sbin mounted
>if its on a local disk then its solaris 9
>if its on a CD partition then its solaris 10
>regards peter

Ok I think I've worked out what the problem was! And it's something which
hadn't even occured to me until now...

I started up a shell (didn't know I could run up extra shells during a
Solaris install - that's one thing I've learnt today), checked what the CWD
was (it was /tmp/root), and I tried to run /usr/sbin/sysidput. I got an
error message about the domain name I'd specified when 'sysidput' was run.

In the past I've always been specifying the domain name with a leading '.'.
So I went back a few steps in the install setup window to the point where
the domain name is specified, tried removing the leading '.' (so the field
data was 'apana.org.au' instead of '.apana.org.au') and it's worked!

Is this documented anywhere? I'm no DNS expert so I don't really know if
there is an official convention on writing domain names into OS installation
setup's with a leading '.' or without.

Thanks to those of you who replied... Now I'll see if I can complete a
Solaris 10 upgrade on the target system successfully and report back on any
other problems that I encounter.

It's still 'initialising' at the moment. Hopefully it'll ask me shortly if I
want to upgrade or do an initial install so that I can select 'upgrade'.

Craig.

--

 APANA Sydney Deputy Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (APANA Sydney POP)
 Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world
   Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

1. Problem upgrading Ultra 60 from Solaris 9 to 10

Hi everyone,

Today I've decided to have a go at upgrading my Ultra 60 system (this
machine) from Solaris 9 to 10. It has a DVD-ROM drive installed instead of a
plain CD-ROM drive.

First off I tried the Solaris 10 DVD but the machine would not boot from it.
Presumably the OBP needs to have a driver specifically to support DVD's (?)
and v3.23 doesn't seem to have such a driver. The 'devalias' command doesn't
show a 'dvd-rom' or 'dvd' alias.

So I went back to the CD's. Booting off the Solaris 10 1-of-4 CD worked
fine.

I was given all the steps to enter system and network config information.
When that was all done and I clicked on the 'confirm' button and the system
produced an error message in the console window. It also kept asking me to
as the settings I use now with Solaris 9

The error printed on the install console window was:

---- start ----

runCmd error in /usr/sbin/sysidput with output:
Unable to run cmd: /usr/sbin/sysidput
No sysidcfg found

---- stop ----

I don't have any idea why the install process is producing that error - I
have installed Solaris 10 successfully from scratch on a few other
Ultrasparc-based systems recently without any problems at this point of the
installation.

All I can think of at the moment is that because the machine currently has
Solaris 9 installed, the Solaris 10 installation is realising this, trying
to get existing config and setup info out of the existing Solaris 9
installation but failing to get what it needs (maybe because of the program
that can't be executed).

Is this a well-known problem or (so far) a one-off thing? I really do not
want to go along the route of getting another disk, doing a completely fresh
install of Solaris 10, then trying to merge all the data and programs and
other stuff I've added myself from the current Solaris 9 install over into
the filesystems on a different disk with Solaris 10 installed from scratch.
8-)

FYI, trying to install Solaris 9 patch kits from SunSolve produces lots of
errors too (mainly error's 2 and 8) - which could be because some packages
that later patches depend on are not present. I have another Ultra 60 in
which patches don't install on at all - looks like some sort of file
permission problem since one of the scripts run by 'patchadd' keeps aborting
whenever a patch install is started on that other system. It's probably
unrelated to the current problem of Sol 10 failing during the first part of
the install setup phase on this machine...

What can be done so that I can successfully and directly upgrade the Solaris
9 installation on this machine to Solaris 10?

Thanks for any advice you can provide - I'm a bit stumped at the moment.

Regards,

Craig.

--
 SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996

2. How do you get 2nd ethernet card to work in Linux?

3. Ultra 10 RAM upgrade: 50nS to 60 nS ?

4. Using Sendmail to send error messages to an internet email account?

5. Ultra 10 / Ultra 60

6. Compiling (anything)

7. Ultra 10 vs Ultra 60

8. about MOUNT.

9. Solaris 10 Gnome is Slow on Ultra 60

10. upgrade from Ultra-2 to Ultra-10, and Solaris 2.6 to 2.7

11. 60 GB Maxtor on Ultra 10?

12. Ultra 10 / 60 Memory

13. upgrade my Ultra 30 from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10