FTP

Post by RAM » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:44:33

I am running on Solaris 2.6  ...I am pulling a text file from an IBM
mainframe down to
my UNIX box. The transfer mode is ASCII and the file arrives fine. The
problem
is that on the mainframe the file is FIXED record length ...each record is
padded
out to a specific length with spaces ( 20h ). When the file arrives on the
UNIX
box, the trailing spaces have been removed. Is there any way to prevent
this?
I know about "binary" transfer but this will not work since I need the IBM
Mainframe to ASCII character translation.

Thanks,

Rod.

FTP

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:26:25

>I am running on Solaris 2.6  ...I am pulling a text file from an IBM
>mainframe down to
>my UNIX box. The transfer mode is ASCII and the file arrives fine. The
>problem
>is that on the mainframe the file is FIXED record length ...each record is
>padded
>out to a specific length with spaces ( 20h ). When the file arrives on the
>UNIX
>box, the trailing spaces have been removed. Is there any way to prevent
>this?

I don't think there's a way to do one without the other.

Quote:>I know about "binary" transfer but this will not work since I need the IBM
>Mainframe to ASCII character translation.

I'd consider transferring in "binary" mode and then using the GNU
program "recode" to convert the character set.  Alternately, you should
be able to use "dd" to convert between ASCII and EBCDIC.  (You use the
"ascii" and "ebcdic" command line parameters.)

  - Logan
--
"In order to be prepared to hope in what does not deceive,
 we must first lose hope in everything that deceives."

                                          Georges Bernanos

FTP

Post by -wisegu » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:36:19

Quote:> I am running on Solaris 2.6  ...I am pulling a text file from an IBM
> mainframe down to
> my UNIX box. The transfer mode is ASCII and the file arrives fine. The
> problem
> is that on the mainframe the file is FIXED record length ...each record is
> padded
> out to a specific length with spaces ( 20h ). When the file arrives on the
> UNIX
> box, the trailing spaces have been removed. Is there any way to prevent
> this?
> I know about "binary" transfer but this will not work since I need the IBM
> Mainframe to ASCII character translation.

It strikes me as odd that the ASCII mode of FTP would truncate fixed length
records.  If this is really the case then you might try downloading the file
in binary mode, then running a translation filter on it once it has been
downloaded.  see:

man dd

for information on converting files.  dd handles conversions and blocking of
fixed length records.

--
-wiseguy
slummin it in Colorado ski country, while watching the IT industry move

1. Solaris ftp v Pro-ftp v WU-ftp

One-year newbie Solaris admin here. (And four yrs Linux experience extra,
does
that count extra credit?)

Management thinks they want an internet ftp server for the company.
Whatever,
they're mgt, and 'I serve at their pleasure'.. and paycheck. My questions:

1). why use a package like ProFTP or WU-ftp, instead of Solaris 2.6 ftp,
which
seems to me easy enough to use and cfg? (I'd ask them why, but that'd be
interpreted
as 'a bad thing'.)
2). which FTP is 'better'? I've heard of WU-ftp security holes, but am not
familiar
with Pro-FTP problems.
3). is there a better way to go?

I'm guessing this is for external customer browser convenience, which will
make me
RTFMs soon enough, yet any other comments, suggestions, or insights would be
appreciated. Thank you.

-fgz
(name alias and bogus email adrs to protect the guilty.)

2. How to config "rsh"?

3. FTP: New Linux FTP site: ftp.kernel.org

4. Syslog setting

5. Secure ftp, ftp over stunnel og ftp-ssl.

6. Crack

7. How to connect to an FTP through an FTP-Proxy.

8. Problem about no available pty

9. Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client

10. make a character device /dev/ftp that do ftp

11. Problems with FTP (wu.ftp) HELP!

12. FTP: Looking for source code for FTP client program

13. how do I use the cern ftp proxy with non web ftp clients?