Where is the "autorun" resp. "setup.exe" on a Solaris installation DVD ?

Where is the "autorun" resp. "setup.exe" on a Solaris installation DVD ?

Post by Thomas Still » Thu, 04 May 2006 05:52:40

Sorry again for this newbie question. I have never installed Solaris before (only used it).
After having downloaded the x86 vesion of Solaris I pasted the parts successfully
into an iso archive.
The resulting ISO archive looks (syntactically) good when I peek into it.

However I would have expected to find something like an "autorun" or "setup.exe"
on this DVD (similar to the - sorry - Windows world) but do not.

When I burn this ISO archive on a DVD and boot the target computer this target computer will not
know what do do with this Solaris stuff.

How do I boot and install Solaris (on a x86 system) with such a DVD?

Thomas

Post by Tony Curti » Thu, 04 May 2006 06:05:34

>> On 02 May 2006 20:52:40 GMT,

> Sorry again for this newbie question. I have never
> installed Solaris before (only used it).  After having
> downloaded the x86 vesion of Solaris I pasted the parts
> successfully into an iso archive.  The resulting ISO
> archive looks (syntactically) good when I peek into it.
> However I would have expected to find something like an
> "autorun" or "setup.exe" on this DVD (similar to the -
> sorry - Windows world) but do not.

Q: when you boot the machine, where's the OS that would
see an "autorun"?

Quote:> When I burn this ISO archive on a DVD and boot the
> target computer this target computer will not know what
> do do with this Solaris stuff.

why not?

Quote:> How do I boot and install Solaris (on a x86 system) with
> such a DVD?

The DVD (and CD1) images are bootable.  So you just set
the DVD (CD) drive to be the first one in the BIOS (which
is a fairly standard setting).

hth

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 04 May 2006 06:10:22

> Sorry again for this newbie question. I have never installed Solaris before (only used it).
> After having downloaded the x86 vesion of Solaris I pasted the parts successfully
> into an iso archive.

CD or DVD?

Quote:> The resulting ISO archive looks (syntactically) good when I peek into
> it.

What are you peeking at?  The HSFS/ISO filesystem?  That's not the boot
filesystem.

Quote:> However I would have expected to find something like an "autorun" or "setup.exe"
> on this DVD (similar to the - sorry - Windows world) but do not.

Unless you have solaris already, I doubt you have any tools that will
let you view the UFS boot filesystem.

Quote:> When I burn this ISO archive on a DVD and boot the target computer this target computer will not
> know what do do with this Solaris stuff.

Is that a guess on your part or have you tried and have problems?

Quote:> How do I boot and install Solaris (on a x86 system) with such a DVD?

What happens when you try to boot?

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

Post by News » Thu, 04 May 2006 06:18:00

> How do I boot and install Solaris (on a x86 system) with such a DVD?

If correctly written you will have a bootable DVD and all you have to do is
adjust the boot sequence in the BIOS to attempt to boot from the CD/DVD.

The Solaris installation DVD _will_ install an operating system onto the
disk, possibly overwriting any existing OS that might be there.  If you want
to create a duel boot system you need to do some more reading.
Such as http://multiboot.solaris-x86.org/index.html

If you just want to try out Solaris without writing to the hard disk you
will need to download one of the "live" distributions that run off the DVD.
Such as http://belenix.sarovar.org/belenix_home.html

Post by Wes William » Thu, 04 May 2006 11:10:41

> Sorry again for this newbie question. I have never installed Solaris before (only used it).
> After having downloaded the x86 vesion of Solaris I pasted the parts successfully
> into an iso archive.
> The resulting ISO archive looks (syntactically) good when I peek into it.

> However I would have expected to find something like an "autorun" or "setup.exe"
> on this DVD (similar to the - sorry - Windows world) but do not.

> When I burn this ISO archive on a DVD and boot the target computer this target computer will not
> know what do do with this Solaris stuff.

> How do I boot and install Solaris (on a x86 system) with such a DVD?

> Thomas

In addition to the other responders...

Are you sure you understand the difference between a .iso CD/DVD IMAGE
file versus simply "pasted the part successfully into an iso archive"?

You aren't just copying the .iso file to a CD/DVD are you?  You should
be doing something like "burn image" (Nero's terminology) to make an
exact duplicate CD/DVD - to include the very important bootable formatting.

Post by Richard B. Gilber » Fri, 05 May 2006 09:45:29

> Sorry again for this newbie question. I have never installed Solaris before (only used it).
> After having downloaded the x86 vesion of Solaris I pasted the parts successfully
> into an iso archive.
> The resulting ISO archive looks (syntactically) good when I peek into it.

> However I would have expected to find something like an "autorun" or "setup.exe"
> on this DVD (similar to the - sorry - Windows world) but do not.

> When I burn this ISO archive on a DVD and boot the target computer this target computer will not
> know what do do with this Solaris stuff.

> How do I boot and install Solaris (on a x86 system) with such a DVD?

> Thomas

autorun and setup.exe are features of Windows!  There are no direct
equivalents that I'm aware of.

Boot the system from the first CD or from the DVD.  The CD or DVD
contains a minimum Solaris system which then executes the install
procedure.  YOu will be asked to supply information about your network
address, network mask, gateway address, Domain Name Server addresses,
your timezone, a root password, etc, etc.

Visit http://docs.sun.com/ follow the links to Solaris 10 documentation
and further to the installation documentation.  You can read it on line
or download and print a PDF file.  You can skip over the "Jumpstart"
stuff; that's for people installing several systems.