Solaris8/Early Access / Intel, wont install.

Solaris8/Early Access / Intel, wont install.

Post by r.. » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone sucessfully installed Solaris8/Early Access/Intel on ANY HARDWARE?
On my machine it gets thru the stuff that used to be on the Floppy (and now
is on a bootable CD), and then goes to read the CD.

Bang, back to the BIOS prompt.

Trying it with the CD Boot or the Floppy gives the same result.

Seems like Sun needs to hire a few PC hackers to test this stuff,- they
surely dont have the expertise internal to test the INTEL port.

At least Solaris7 would Install.....

                                        Reg.Clemens

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Has anyone sucessfully installed Solaris8/Early Access/Intel on ANY HARDWARE?

Yes, but many people found it worked  much better by throwing out the
"Installation" CD and starting the install from the "Software 1 of 2"
CD instead.

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

Solaris8/Early Access / Intel, wont install.

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 12 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Has anyone sucessfully installed Solaris8/Early Access/Intel on ANY HARDWARE?
>On my machine it gets thru the stuff that used to be on the Floppy (and now
>is on a bootable CD), and then goes to read the CD.

'
So how far do you get?  I think there's a problem with usign DMA by default
for EIDE devices that will cause crashes (because of broken hardware).

You might be able to disable DMA using the device configuration assistant;
Soalris 8 release will have DMA disabled by default; this will get you
through install.   (But switching it on if it works is, of course, highly

with virtually no CPU use)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Bruce Adle » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> [[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

> >Has anyone sucessfully installed Solaris8/Early Access/Intel on ANY HARDWARE?
> >On my machine it gets thru the stuff that used to be on the Floppy (and now
> >is on a bootable CD), and then goes to read the CD.

> '
> So how far do you get?  I think there's a problem with usign DMA by default
> for EIDE devices that will cause crashes (because of broken hardware).

> You might be able to disable DMA using the device configuration assistant;
> Soalris 8 release will have DMA disabled by default; this will get you
> through install.

My memory is kind of fuzzy about this, but I think the trick is to
look for the driver property "ata_options" and set it to a value which
has the low-order bit zero. For example, "ata_options=0". This can be
modified globally for all ata device instances via the DCA property editor.

>   (But switching it on if it works is, of course, highly

> with virtually no CPU use)

To be certain you don't have broken hardware, you need to also run a test
which accesses DMA-capable devices on both buses (primary and secondary)
at the same time. If you don't currently have two such devices just make
a mental note so that when you eventually do add a second device you won't
be too surprised if your system is no longer bootable.

Post by Joerg Schilli » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>>Has anyone sucessfully installed Solaris8/Early Access/Intel on ANY HARDWARE?

>Yes, but many people found it worked  much better by throwing out the
>"Installation" CD and starting the install from the "Software 1 of 2"
>CD instead.

I could not install from the install CD as the OS on this CD could not
mount Software 1 of 2. Installing from software CD 1 worked fine.
I filed a bug report on it and it turns out that this is most likely
caused by the fact that you need to use a different device path on sparc
and x86 to mount this CD.

In any case S8 is much better that S7. I can even use the Graphics adapter
with full resolution and color depth.

--

Solaris8/Early Access / Intel, wont install.

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>My memory is kind of fuzzy about this, but I think the trick is to
>look for the driver property "ata_options" and set it to a value which
>has the low-order bit zero. For example, "ata_options=0". This can be
>modified globally for all ata device instances via the DCA property editor.

In the final release the property is "ata_dma_enabled".

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Solaris8/Early Access / Intel, wont install.

Post by Falko Zurel » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

1. Panic Attach - Solaris 8 Early Access (Intel)

Hello;

When attempting to install Solaris 8 (Intel) , after setting the boot
device to CDROM and the system begins to boot the kernel, immediately
I get a message  "panic[cpu0]/thread=fec172a0: BAD TRAP: type=d
(General Protection Fault) rp=fec127f4".

There is some stuff after that and then it says "rebooting" but really
it is locked up and nothing else happens.

I have three PC's all put together by myself.  This one is has a PC100
M747 Mainboard with a Pentium Celeron 330mhz cpu, 64MB.  It appears to
recognize everything.  I have SUSE Linux and Windows NT 4.0 installed
on the machine, however never gets far enough for that to make a
differnce at this juncture.  I guess I could go out and buy some more
membory to see if that might be the problem, but I will wait awhile.
I thought about mucking about with BIOS settings to see if something
there would make a difference, but basically do not know what I might
change.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. RH 6.0 & Soundblaster AWE 32 PnP

3. Solaris8 Wont Install

4. Help: Double-sided printing on HP IIIsi

5. I'm installing solaris8 intel edition.

6. What is a ICMP Redirect

7. Can't install Solstice DiskSuite4.2 and AdminSuite2.3 to Solaris8(intel edition)

8. dbx: restarting from core dump?

9. Can not install Solstice DiskSuite4.2 and AdminSuite2.3 to Solaris8(intel edition)

10. how to get linux to recogize new hard drive with Solaris8 (intel) installed

11. (1/2) x440 discontig support on 2.5.62: early, early ioremap

12. Solaris 9 Early Access Program

13. 8-Early Access or Final Release?