environment variables improving egrep performance

environment variables improving egrep performance

Post by kasthuri jegathees » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 00:03:36

Hi,

 It takes like 4 mins to egrep specific pattern in a 300MB file (and
pipe out to files). The source for grep has a potential to grow to
size in GB's as well. I would like to know if there is any
environmental settings or sort areas or any other setting that i could
do at the system level to speed up this process.

we use /usr/xpg4/bin/egrep ( extended regular expressions ) for
pattern matching & ksh scripts.

Thanks & Regards
Kasthuri

1. egrep on a variable string and on a variable filename

I am working on a program for my class.  There is a data file stored in the
format
LastName:FirstName:City:State:Class:SemesterFirstEnrolled:YearFirstEnrolled.

An Example is
Jones:Gilbert:Dayton:OH:Freshman:Fall:1992

I have a menu set up to Add, Delete, Modify, Inquire, and Exit.

When I try to Delete a record I am having a problem.  Here's what I'm using.

echo "Enter last name of the student to delete:  \c"
read LNAME

egrep -i $LNAME $INFILE > DELETED$$

Is this not possible to do with egrep?  If I put the actual filename in
place of
$INFILE (asg6f1) it seems to work.  Can I not use a variable in
both places?

Thanks for the help

2. More than 126 virtual servers under Apache 1.1.1

3. NT<->Samba performance depends on _size_ of NT environment variables!?!

4. NEC260 CD-ROM

5. Why does the cgi environment not inherit environment variables?

6. Minimul Solaris Boot

7. how to export shell environment variables to the primary environment?

8. Killed the ext2 superblock?

9. Changing Desktop Environments (Window Managers) & Performance of Desktop Environments

10. c shell script; Howto use environement variables to build environment variables and take their value

11. Difference between shell variables and environment variables!

12. difference between shell variable and environment variable

13. How to get value of environment variable in variable name?