Help with aliases? Please?

Post by Jack Huesm » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
I am not new to UNiX, but I am new to the SunOS and Solaris.
I am having a problem defining aliases, and was hoping someone could
help me out.
I've tried both the csh and ksh/bash format, ie
alias lsa='ls -la'
alias lsa 'ls -la'
but neither of them work, when I type lsa it returns
'lsa' not found.

There are several terms defined and shown when I type alias (no args.)
but when I type one of those names it also tells me that the command
cannot be found.

I just bought this system, and I guess it is possible that the
previous S.A. did something funny to it, but I have never seen a
system before that wouldn't accept aliases.

BTW, I am logged in as root.

Thank you...

Help with aliases? Please?

Post by Tony Curti » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

said:

Jack> Hello, I am not new to UNiX, but I am new to the SunOS
Jack> and Solaris.  I am having a problem defining aliases,

Shells should be the same everywhere...

Jack> and was hoping someone could help me out.  I've tried
Jack> both the csh and ksh/bash format, ie alias lsa='ls
Jack> -la' alias lsa 'ls -la' but neither of them work, when
Jack> I type lsa it returns 'lsa' not found.

Jack> There are several terms defined and shown when I type
Jack> alias (no args.)  but when I type one of those names
Jack> it also tells me that the command cannot be found.

Jack> BTW, I am logged in as root.

You are presumably in the vanilla Bourne shell then.  What
does "echo $SHELL" return?

What does "man -s1 sh" say about "alias"?

    tcsh% sh
    $ alias
    $ which alias
    /usr/bin/alias
    $ man alias

    (No behaviour specified for sh.)

Don't create aliases as root.  Bad bad bad.

hth
tony
--
Tony Curtis, Systems Manager, VCPC,    | Tel +43 1 310 93 96 - 12; Fax - 13
Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien,  | <URI:http://www.vcpc.univie.ac.at/>

1. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

Everything ran WONDERFUL for about 4 months this machine ran several
servers it is a UDB w/ 340mb SCSI (SLOW 5mb) half inch internal hard
drive.  32 megs of true parity ram, Red hat 5.0 I get the following
error

NCR53-810-0: ERROR (0:48) (0-20-0) (8/33) * scripth (868:18000400).
NCR53-810-0: Script cmd = 888030000
NCR53-810-0: regdump : da 10 80 33 47 08 00 1f 01 08 00 28 80 00 08 00
NCR53-810-0: have to clear fifos

What the HELL is this and is there anyway to fix it ?  It seems to
occur when doing file writing, when i try to tar something for example
it will go into a continual unending loop displaying the above error
message.  I have refdisked, formated, and clean installed redhat and
the problem is still there :( Please help, if at all possible mail

2. Repost of Zftape-2.03b Problems

4. ssh question

5. NFS please help me please please please sniff

6. Test

7. Please, need IP ALIASING help (long, but interesting).

8. Solaris 8 syslog configuration

9. Please Help! Question Regarding Email Aliases

10. cshell aliases, please help !!!!

11. X window ALIAS help please

12. ip aliasing: Need Help Please!

13. ppp -alias help please