disaster recovery

Post by Joer » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 00:50:46

Hi,
i would like to clone or copy some SDS and VxVM mirrored bootdisks for
disaster recovery.
My first tests whith ddng s2 of the disk into a file and extracting
it afterwards went well whith SDS and VxVM 3.0.4 but i am not sure if
it will work in each and every configuration.
Has anybody any experiences in this field or a better idea ?
TIA
Joern

disaster recovery

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 02:38:56

Quote:> Hi,
> i would like to clone or copy some SDS and VxVM mirrored bootdisks for
> disaster recovery.

Huh?  What exactly do you want to do here?

bootblocks on disk are normally mirrored by SDS or VxVM if you're mirroring
the root partition, but they're easy to reinstall anyway.

Quote:> My first tests whith ddng s2 of the disk into a file and extracting
> it afterwards went well whith SDS and VxVM 3.0.4 but i am not sure if
> it will work in each and every configuration.

I would be *very* worried about dd'ing a whole disk with SDS or VxVM on it.
Both have state databases that should be unique.

Quote:> Has anybody any experiences in this field or a better idea ?

I don't understand what you're trying to do to recommend anything yet.

--
Darren Dunham

1. Recommendation for Pushing Files to My Disaster Recovery Site

Hi There,

Looking for recommendations for pushing files to my disaster recovery
site.

I have two Ultra-1s on both end of a 512K frame-relay WAN.  I tried to
rcp a 400MB tar save-set, and several times I got a "connection lost"
message.  I contacted the provider to check for framing errors just in
case.

What I need to know is rcp graceful enough to handle networks not
responding (say for a few milliseconds) or should I do it some other
way.  Man pages indicate cpio may have some promise, but I would
appreciate any BTDT.

TAB,
Kevin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. MS and their political bullsh*t

3. Backup and disaster recovery

4. CD-ROM mounting

5. Disaster Recovery Procedures

6. Modifying system login banner/login prompt

7. DiskSuite tape image disaster recovery procedure needed

8. Help: system is not coming up

9. Disaster Recovery question

10. Disaster Recovery ?

11. Linux and Disaster Recovery

12. What Info for Disaster Recovery-type Rebuild?

13. disaster recovery questions. . .