Moving a DiskSuite array to a different controller

Moving a DiskSuite array to a different controller

Post by Scott W. Giffor » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

  I need to move a RAID array created with Solstice DiskSuite to a
different controller.  I haven't worked up the guts to just go ahead and do
it yet, because it seems to me that it would need to have the new
information in all the metadb replicas, as well as in /etc/system, and
wherever else it hides away it's data...

  Has anybody done this?  Is there a straightforward way to do it, or if I
just move the drives will it figure things out for itself?

  Any help is very much appreciated,

-----Scott.

:
:   Has anybody done this?  Is there a straightforward way to do it, or if I
: just move the drives will it figure things out for itself?

As a minimum, you will have to edit some of the files in /etc/opt/SUNWmd
and change your devices files accordingly.

You should have no problems rebooting with the new controller/SCSI ID's
(don't forget to to boot -r) .

--

Moving a DiskSuite array to a different controller

Post by Jan Rieding » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>  I need to move a RAID array created with Solstice DiskSuite to a
>different controller.  I haven't worked up the guts to just go ahead and do
>it yet, because it seems to me that it would need to have the new
>information in all the metadb replicas, as well as in /etc/system, and
>wherever else it hides away it's data...
>  Has anybody done this?  Is there a straightforward way to do it, or if I
>just move the drives will it figure things out for itself?
>  Any help is very much appreciated,
>-----Scott.

Someone in this newsgroup recommended to do
   1. "metaclear" to the metadevices,
   2. modify the entries /etc/opt/SUNW/md.tab (? I'm not shure, if this is the
      name of the conf. file
   3. use metainit to rebuild your metadevices with the new controller
      (he wrote, that the devices wouldn't be deleted)

If you try this, please tell me, if it works.

Jan

than to

1. Moving DiskSuite 4.0 stripe between controllers

So,

Anyone know how I can move a stripe created with DiskSuite 4.0 to a
different controller, without losing the data on the stripe?  Everything
else (SCSI id, etc.) will remain the same.  I tried it on a test machine,
and the state databases couldn't figure out what happened.  I couldn't
find any info on this  in the disksuite documentation...

While I'm at it, can you move a stripe or other metadevice between
machines?  I'm thinking that if either is possible, they both are...

Thanks!
Chris

2. Kppp bombing out

3. Move SSA RAID array to different server

4. Remote printing to linux requires local account

5. disksets on arrays with different controller numbers ?

6. SLIP intro

7. Anyone had luck with the compaq smart 2dh array controller running a compaq array box 3161?

8. Errors compiling kernel...

9. Problem mounting SCSI HD in a different computer w/ different Adaptec Controller

10. DiskSuite / RAID 5 / D1000 array questions

11. Online Disksuite and RAID Array

12. Disksuite 4.2.1 question with an A5200 array.

13. DiskSuite two arrays