Solaris 2.4 x86 Install - Doesn't recognize CD

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Mon, 30 Jan 1995 16:36:18

>Greetings all,

>I'm trying to install Solaris 2.4 x86 on a Pentium, and it
>doesn't recognize the CD-ROM.  Picks up the Ethernet card
>okay, but no CD, which means I can't begin the install!
>(The drive, btw, is an IDE drive).

You could call SunSoft support and I'm certain they'll be able to help
you.  Otherwise, you'll have to provide more details here and hope
someone recognizes the problem (like what brand and model drive, how is
it cabled and jumpered, etc.).  The only ATAPI CDROM drive which has a
known problem without a workaround for Driver Update 4 is the Mitsumi
FX400.  That problem will be fixed in Driver Update 5.

BA

Post by Jon LaBad » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 00:43:42

|> >Greetings all,
|> >
|> >I'm trying to install Solaris 2.4 x86 on a Pentium, and it
|> >doesn't recognize the CD-ROM.  Picks up the Ethernet card
|> >okay, but no CD, which means I can't begin the install!
|> >(The drive, btw, is an IDE drive).
|>
|> You could call SunSoft support and I'm certain they'll be able to help
|> you.  Otherwise, you'll have to provide more details here and hope
|> someone recognizes the problem (like what brand and model drive, how is
|> it cabled and jumpered, etc.).  The only ATAPI CDROM drive which has a
|> known problem without a workaround for Driver Update 4 is the Mitsumi
|> FX400.  That problem will be fixed in Driver Update 5.

I recently received a pentium system that was to be delivered with
a Sony CDU55E ATAPI CD-ROM.  This drive was not compatible.  Maybe
in Update 5.  The vendor recognized the problem and replaced the
Sony with an NEC ?2Vi?.

Seems to work fine.  It is automatically mounted by the volume
manager, and unmounted and ejected with eject "full pathname".
It can also be used as a boot device.  $150 for a 2X drive, not
too bad.

QUESTION:  it is a pain to have to say eject "full pathname"
rather than eject cdrom.  But the nickname "cdrom" appears to
be hardcoded to the common SCSI device for cdroms, even noted
in the man pages.  Does anyone have a workaround?

jl
--

  JG Computing                   princeton!jonlab!jon
  4455 Province Line Road

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Thu, 02 Feb 1995 15:54:45

>I recently received a pentium system that was to be delivered with
>a Sony CDU55E ATAPI CD-ROM.  This drive was not compatible.  Maybe
>in Update 5.  The vendor recognized the problem and replaced the
>Sony with an NEC ?2Vi?.

The Solaris 2.4 x86 Driver Update 4 Guide includes the following warning
at the bottom of page 25:

        o       (1185559) The Sony CDU-55E CD-ROM drive can not be configured
                 as the master. It must be configured as the slave.

Perhaps this was the cause of your problems.

BA

1. Solaris 2.4 x86 doesn't see CD-ROM reader

I am having trouble installing Solaris 2.4 x86 on my PC. When I boot
from the Solaris boot floppy, it correctly identifies that I have an
Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller. But, when it finishes probing for
devices, it sees only the hard disk on the IDE controller and not the
CD-ROM drive on the SCSI. In the process of probing, the light on the
SCSI card comes on and stays on and the activity light on the CD-ROM
drive comes on for a brief instant. I thouhgt it might be that
boot program didn't like the SCSI target I had set for the CD-ROM
reader, but it did not recognize it at any of the usual targets, 6 for
instance. I tried a genuine Sun CD-ROM reader and it was any better.
What obvious error have I committed that I don't see.

Gary Smith

2. intel N440BX and ethernet..

3. x86 vold doesn't recognize the CD but can boot from CD...

4. Portscan trojan on Linux

5. Solaris 2.4 x86 doesn't boot correctly

6. BusMouse XWin

7. 'workman' in Solaris 2.5.1 x86 not recognizing cds.

8. Diamond Graphics 2001 Support?

9. CD-ROM for Solaris 2.4 x86 / OS/2 installs

10. EIDE CD-ROM install on Solaris 2.4 for X86

11. Can't install Solaris 2.4 for X86

12. Solaris x86 2.4 on ASUS PCI/E-P54NP4 (won't install)

13. Can't install Solaris 2.4 x86 on Pentium P90