Solaris 7 as a DHCP client

Post by Clint Davi » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

When I set my Solaris 7 up as client, I get my IP address assigned, BUT
  my hostname gets set to "unknown".  I have my name in the
  hostname.elxl0 file but I still get unknown.

Also, DHCP adds this entry to host file:

   <my IP address>    unknown #Added by DHCP

My DHCP server is setup to not provide a hostname for clients.

Clint

Solaris 7 as a DHCP client

Post by Greg Andre » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>When I set my Solaris 7 up as client, I get my IP address assigned, BUT
>  my hostname gets set to "unknown".  I have my name in the
>  hostname.elxl0 file but I still get unknown.

>Also, DHCP adds this entry to host file:

>   <my IP address>    unknown #Added by DHCP

>My DHCP server is setup to not provide a hostname for clients.

Don't put the hostname in /etc/hostname.elxl0.
Put it in /etc/nodename instead.  (Don't just delete
your /etc/hostname.elxl0, though.  Empty it out.)

IIRC, Solaris 7 will pick up the name in /etc/nodename
automatically when the DHCP server doesn't provide a
hostname.

If yours doesn't, then edit the /etc/rcS.d/S30rootusr.sh script.
Look for an if/then statement that has 'hostname="unknown"' in it.
On Solaris 2.6 it was around line 150 of the script.  Comment out
that if/then statement (3 lines).  The next set of statements will
read the /etc/nodename file for the hostname.

  -Greg

1. Solaris dhcp client sends too long client id

Problem:  Solaris 2.6 (intel platform) dhcp client is trying to
configure elx0 interface using extrenal CMU dhcp server. The dhcp
servers sees DHCPDISCOVER from the client with the client ID of 12 bytes
instead of 7 :( Mac address:00C04FA80777, the client id seen by dhcp
server is 01 00 C0 4F A8 07 77 2E 65 6C 78 30, so the server does not
recognize the client and rejects).
I do not have the problem when boot NT on the client box, it gets the IP
w/o problems.

The client has empty /etc/dhcp.elx0, /etc/hostname.elx0,
/etc/defaultrouter, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/default/dhcp

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
--
Boris Niyazov            Ph:  212-854-4094  Fax: 212-316-2623

Columbia Law School      URL: http://www.law.columbia.edu

2. Installation Help..thanks all!

3. DHCP Linux Client at NT-DHCP Server

4. test state on pid's

5. Windows NT DHCP clients and SunOS 4.x BOOTPD+DHCP patches

6. X 3.3.3.1 libraries and Glibc 2.1

7. Sunray as DHCP client to NT DHCP server

8. Access 2000 data to MySQL on FreeBSD 4.8

9. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

10. Setting up a linux dhcp client with a win98 dhcp server??

11. 2.6 DHCP client: mode 666 on /etc/dhcp/le0.dhc?

12. trouble with AIX dhcp client / Cisco dhcp server

13. How DHCP Client can auto set a static IP, when connect to DHCP Server fail ?