Solaris x86 2.6 and LILO

Post by Daniel E Whick » Tue, 21 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm currently trying to get my Solaris x86 v2.6 to boot from my
bootstrap.  I'm able to boot it successfully from the boot floppy
and have customized it so that if I leave it in there, it will
boot Solaris, however, this is a kludge.

I've got three harddrives, currenty.
c0t0d0
c0t4d0
c0t6d0

I have '95 and Linux & Swap on c0t0d0
Dos partition and Solaris on c0t4d0
2 Dos partitions and WintNT on c0t6d0

I'm using LILO (Linux Loader) as my bootstrap to get into
95/NT/Linux, but I cannot get LILO to recognize my Solaris
partition as bootable (is it?).

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I might boot
Solaris using LILO?  Thanx.

1. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

I was going to use this hard drive to move large files from my
Ultra to my Pentium PC for CD-R backup, but upon "boot -r" on
the Ultra I saw an error about "invalid geometry" on sd3, the
drive I had formatted on my PC to be ufs.  And now of course
I can't even "prtvtoc" this disk ("Unable to read Disk geometry"),
so mounting it is seemingly out of the question.

What's the problem?  Was I naive to assume the a ufs on a Solaris
system would be the same regardless of CPU type?  I really don't
want to use Ethernet to transmit potentially gigabytes of data
on a regular basis :-(...

Please reply via email (and post here, of course), as I don't
get a chance to keep up with the newsgroup as regularly as I
would wish.  Thanks.

Mark J. Kaufman             Sun Microsystems, San Diego

2. SunPC on remote display

3. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

4. INSERT CONTROL CHRACTERS INTO vi editor...

5. RH 6.2 + Solaris 2.6 x86 LILO Setup

6. about xscreensaver

7. Solarix/x86 2.6 with LILO?

8. mkisofs for dvd

9. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

10. Solaris 2.6 x86 Installation error

11. Solaris 2.6 (X86) Desktop?

12. How can I view eastern character set under Sun Solaris 2.6 x86

13. tcsh on solaris 2.6 x86