Open Windows File Manager File Associations

Open Windows File Manager File Associations

Post by Christo De Lang » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Just a quick question to those that are more experienced Sun'ies than me
Any idea where the file manager maintains its list of actions and icon
associations for files/ file types?
I looked around in /etc, /usr/openwin/etc, etc. :-) and no luck :-(
Thanx

I choose life! I'll live the best one that I can create! Join the ride!

Post by Cecil Jacobs, miSOFT Enginee » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Any idea where the file manager maintains its list of actions and icon
> associations for files/ file types?

The associations are maintained by something called the "Classing
Engine" and CANNOT be edited by hand!!!!!!!  You must use the
Binder (which should be on your default Programs menu for the
OpenLook window manager) to modify the associations.  There are
three levels available - User bindings, System bindings, and
Network bindings.  You have to be root to alter the last two.

See the man page for "binder" in /usr/openwin/share/man/...

There are a couple of related programs called ce_db_build and
ce_db_merge that allow you to create the CE tables using ASCII
files (rather like compiling a terminfo entry), but the binder
permits you to do this in a graphic tool.

--
Cecil Jacobs
Competency 2000 Certified Sun Engineer