Need to make systems secure in a hurry !

Need to make systems secure in a hurry !

Post by DBC-I » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am running sparc solaris 2.5 machines on a WAN. I have security auditors
coming in a few days.
What is the quickest most effective way of detecting and closing the most
serious/stupid operating system/network security loopholes ?

Need to make systems secure in a hurry !

Post by Joe Durusa » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

    Well, one thing that often gets overlooked, is that the machine must be
in a locked room, qualified for the highest level of classified (or private)
info
you possess.  Anyone (including the cleaning lady) with a minimum of smarts
can destroy your whole system or obtain all of its contents in minutes if they

have physical access, and a media kit, available from Sun for $15.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by Mike Glove » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> > I am running sparc solaris 2.5 machines on a WAN. I have security auditors
> > coming in a few days.
> > What is the quickest most effective way of detecting and closing the most
> > serious/stupid operating system/network security loopholes ?

> At least try installing the latest recommended patches which can be
> downloaded from sunsolve.sun.com also try installing tcp wrappers which give
> you high level of security quickly and easily.

> Good Luck

Also turn off daemons which provide a little too much about your system. Like
fingerd. Also if you don't use rsh, rcp and the rexec utilities, kill the rxecd
daemon.
I normally just comment them out, just in case.

Vexus Consulting Group Inc.

Web  : http://members.home.net/vexus