Using mail/Mail to send HTML mail via SMTP

Using mail/Mail to send HTML mail via SMTP

Post by adpx » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 04:45:33

Hi,

I'm extremely rusty on UNIX, and am looking for help on sending HTML mail
via SMTP, using mail or Mail.  Could somebody send me a commandline, please?
Specifically:

--how to specify recipient
--how to specify subject
--how to set content-type to HTML
--how to 'attach a file' a la most Windows mail programs

I'm on System V, Release 4

Thanx

--A

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 04:55:11

> I'm extremely rusty on UNIX, and am looking for help on sending HTML mail
> via SMTP, using mail or Mail.  Could somebody send me a commandline, please?
> Specifically:

Please do everyone a favour: don't send any HTML emails.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Using mail/Mail to send HTML mail via SMTP

Post by adpx » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 05:06:19

Rich,

Quote:

> Please do everyone a favour: don't send any HTML emails.

<<<

It's internal-use-only, and IMO it's justified.

--A

Using mail/Mail to send HTML mail via SMTP

Post by Martien Poel » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 05:53:21

If you're using sol7 or sol8 have a look at the manual pages of mailx I
think it can do the job for you.
We use it extensively for guarding all kinds of serverprocesses and it works
reliable.

Martien.

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm extremely rusty on UNIX, and am looking for help on sending HTML mail
> via SMTP, using mail or Mail.  Could somebody send me a commandline,
please?
> Specifically:

> --how to specify recipient
> --how to specify subject
> --how to set content-type to HTML
> --how to 'attach a file' a la most Windows mail programs

> I'm on System V, Release 4

> Thanx

> --A

Using mail/Mail to send HTML mail via SMTP

Post by adpx » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:04:35

Martien,

Thanx for the post, but it seems mailx doesn't allow one to set 'content
type' headers.  At least that's what the following post said:

http://www.washington.edu/pine/pine-info/1997.01/msg00588.html

--A

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:39:50

>I'm extremely rusty on UNIX, and am looking for help on sending HTML mail
>via SMTP, using mail or Mail.  Could somebody send me a commandline, please?
>Specifically:

>--how to specify recipient
>--how to specify subject
>--how to set content-type to HTML
>--how to 'attach a file' a la most Windows mail programs

Solaris doesn't come with a command-line mail program that can do
attachments the right way.  The only thing you can do with standard
Unix utilities is use uuencode, which is really old and problematic.
Instead, you should use MIME for e-mail attachments.

The best thing to do is to download a third-party program that allows
you to, from the command line, send mails with attachments.  One
program that allows that is "mutt".  See http://www.veryComputer.com/

By the way, if you have to send HTML via e-mail, it is best to allow
the recipient the option to request that future e-mails be in plain
text only.  I don't know specifics, but I believe there are some
programs that will let you render HTML to plain text, so if you do it
right, you won't have to compose two separate versions of every
message.

  - Logan
--
"Our grandkids love that we get Roadrunner and digital cable."
(Adverti*t for Time Warner cable TV and internet access, July 2001)

Post by somebody+use.. » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:54:39

> I'm extremely rusty on UNIX, and am looking for help on sending HTML mail
> via SMTP, using mail or Mail.  Could somebody send me a commandline, please?
> Specifically:

> --how to specify recipient
> --how to specify subject
> --how to set content-type to HTML
> --how to 'attach a file' a la most Windows mail programs

> I'm on System V, Release 4

http://www3.shore.net/~kylet/unix-att.html

-greg

Using mail/Mail to send HTML mail via SMTP

Post by adpx » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 05:32:07

Logan,

Thanx fotr the input and the blurb on mutt.  However another respondent
(somebody+usenet...) has suggested an alternative using sendmail.

--A

Using mail/Mail to send HTML mail via SMTP

Post by adpx » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 05:40:06

Greg,

Thank you **VERY** much.

--A

Post by Logan Sh » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:36:32

>Thanx fotr the input and the blurb on mutt.  However another respondent
>(somebody+usenet...) has suggested an alternative using sendmail.

Yeah, you can do that, it's just that it's more work and if you do
it yourself, you're more likely to make mistakes that will cause
problems with others' mail clients than if you use a solution that
has already been debugged.

And mutt is easy to compile.  It's just a "./configure ; make install"
kind of thing, and the whole process shouldn't take more than 2 minutes
if you're familiar with that kind of install (and if you have a pretty
fast CPU).

  - Logan
--
"Our grandkids love that we get Roadrunner and digital cable."
(Adverti*t for Time Warner cable TV and internet access, July 2001)

1. How do I delete mail from mail file /var/mail/su after reading mails

I used to receive data in mail from users. I used to read those data
and load that into a ORACLE table. However I am not able to delete
those mails after reading and loading it.

Currently I delete them manually when the mail file grow very big

Is there a way we can delete these mails after we read it using shell
script ?

2. linux-kernel-digest

3. Is there a way to send mail attachment using /usr/ucb/mail ?

4. can documentroot be a symlink?

5. Can send mail out but can't send mail in?

6. Problem booting NetBSD 1.1 on A3000/040

7. can't send mail in kmail via smtp

8. how to setup mail server...

9. Sending SMTP mail via mailx

10. Sending mail via smtp from Solaris to Windows

11. What mail clients can mail directly to a smtp server

12. Microsoft Mail <-> SMTP mail

13. Send Mail using SMTP?