MS-WORD/Excel on Sun?

Post by Kumar » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

I have heard that there is a plug-in application/product for Netscape on
Solaris running on Sun hardware which is able to read/write MS-Office
applications.

Having trawled thru both Sun and Netscape's websites, I have been unable
to locate anything like that. I dont know what the application/product is
called. (I am NOT looking for WABI)

Would anyone know about such a product and be able to point me in the
right direction?

Cheers

Arv

MS-WORD/Excel on Sun?

Post by Steve Bellen » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

>I have heard that there is a plug-in application/product for Netscape on
>Solaris running on Sun hardware which is able to read/write MS-Office
>applications.

There is the pcfileviewer, dejaVu, in /opt/SUNWdtpcv/bin.

cat pcviewer.
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/opt/SUNWdtpcv/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/SUNWdtpcv/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

--

MS-WORD/Excel on Sun?

Post by Jeff Dillo » Sun, 02 May 1999 04:00:00

Also, Wordperfect is available for Solaris. It can read and write MS
"formats". It is a very nice program in general.

Find it at www.corel.com

Jeff Dillon

> I have heard that there is a plug-in application/product for Netscape on
> Solaris running on Sun hardware which is able to read/write MS-Office
> applications.

> Having trawled thru both Sun and Netscape's websites, I have been unable
> to locate anything like that. I dont know what the application/product is
> called. (I am NOT looking for WABI)

> Would anyone know about such a product and be able to point me in the
> right direction?

> Cheers

> Arv

MS-WORD/Excel on Sun?

Post by Sriranga Veeraraghava » Sun, 02 May 1999 04:00:00

> Also, Wordperfect is available for Solaris. It can read and write MS
> "formats". It is a very nice program in general.

> Find it at www.corel.com

StarOffice is also quite nice, try:

www.stardivision.com

It is free for personal use on Solaris systems.

MS-WORD/Excel on Sun?

Post by Stacy Gagn » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

If you take a look at http://www.sun.com/desktop/solutions/pcinterop.html
you will find several options for this reading/writing MS products.

>Also, Wordperfect is available for Solaris. It can read and write MS
>"formats". It is a very nice program in general.

>Find it at www.corel.com

>Jeff Dillon

>> I have heard that there is a plug-in application/product for Netscape on
>> Solaris running on Sun hardware which is able to read/write MS-Office
>> applications.

>> Having trawled thru both Sun and Netscape's websites, I have been unable
>> to locate anything like that. I dont know what the application/product is
>> called. (I am NOT looking for WABI)

>> Would anyone know about such a product and be able to point me in the
>> right direction?

>> Cheers

>> Arv

1. Netatalk, MS-Word/Excel 98 (Mac) conflicts

Hello all,

I've been using netatalk for a while. Currently I'm
trying to use our Linux-Server for  MS-Word/Excel 98 (Macintosh)
workgroup templates. Until now we used a Macintosh as server for that
purpose and it worked (but gave trouble with too many users - therefore
the step to a Linux-Server).

Since we switched to Netatalk, only one person at the same time,
although users login as guest and have read-only access. Excel
documents/templates by the way cannot be opened from the server (copying
to the local Mac is possible).

Multiple read-access to a file is not the problem
with the server, "non-document or template" files (e.g.
ascii, html) could be open from different Macs in MS-Word at
the same time.

In the log-files, the problem with documents/template accesses
can be traced:

Feb  7 17:42:45 ihepchw2 afpd[19967]: afp_openfork: ad_open:
Permission denied

This occurs, since the systems variable "errno" is set while executing
ad_open.c, but I don't know why...

Does anyone have an idea about what to do?

Thanks very much and greetings,

Christian Fischer
--
    _/ _/ _/    _/    _/   _/ _/ _/    Christian Fischer
      _/       _/    _/   _/

     _/       _/ _/ _/   _/ _/
http://www-ihe.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de/
    _/       _/    _/   _/
_/ _/ _/    _/    _/   _/ _/ _/                    Tel:
+49-721-608-6253
Institut fuer Hoechstfrequenztechnik
              und Elektronik                       Fax:  +49-721-691865
             Kaiserstrasse 12
            D-76128 Karlsruhe
                 Germany

2. xinit: can't load library 'libXmu.so.6 <--what does it mean and how do i fx it?

3. Wanted : viewer(s) allowing Unix & VMS users to view MS Word/Excel/PP ??

4. DNS client under 2.2

5. Books about UNIX, Windows 95 & NT , MS word , excel and more...

6. how to parse all the junk in /var/log/messages??

7. MS Word/Excel -> Linux

8. Switching between KDE and GNOME

9. Problem with MS Apps Word/Excel

10. Netscape plugin for view/edit MS Word/Excel documents?

11. MS Word/Excel -> Linux

12. Program to view MS Word and/or Excel files on HP-UX?

13. PDF/PS Converters for MS word, Powerpoint, Excel, WordPerfect