SunSoft offer and Best Solaris Platform?

Post by Andrew E Pa » Tue, 28 Jun 1994 21:50:51

   Sunsoft has sent me an package offer for Solaris x86 2.1, and their
C and C++ development platform for about $1200.  I've been seriously
considering this but I have a couple of questions...

   #1   To those that have purchased solaris and are using it, is
        this a good deal?

   #2   What is the best x86 platform for solaris?  A recent BYTE
        article rated an ALR machine best "overall" for unix.

--
Andrew E. Page   (Warrior Poet) |   Decision and Effort The Archer and Arrow
Mac Consultant                  |     The difference between what we are

SunSoft offer and Best Solaris Platform?

Post by Da » Sun, 03 Jul 1994 09:08:07

Quote:

>    Sunsoft has sent me an package offer for Solaris x86 2.1, and their
> C and C++ development platform for about $1200.  I've been seriously
> considering this but I have a couple of questions...

>    #1   To those that have purchased solaris and are using it, is
>         this a good deal?

>    #2   What is the best x86 platform for solaris?  A recent BYTE
>         article rated an ALR machine best "overall" for unix.

> --
> Andrew E. Page   (Warrior Poet) |   Decision and Effort The Archer and Arrow
> Mac Consultant                  |     The difference between what we are
> Macintosh and DSP Technology    |           and what we want to be.

Dell's and Compac's are the hottest toys out there.  Standard vendor's that
have there own R&D budget are usualy supported.  A CPU with PCI slots and a
Pentium or 100Mhz DX4 chip are good.  You want to get high speed graphics.
So if the vendors graphics doesn't suite your needs, get a card like
Matrox's (did I spell that right) MGA card.  It's a good card for Display
Postscript.

1. Problem with SUNsoft Germany - $495 special offer not available

Hello,
I'm having trouble with SUNsoft Germany. They don't want to sell me
the Solaris 2.4 SDK 2-user package for Intel PC with everything included
that was announced in the US some time ago.
To recall: the SDK package included a full-fledged Solaris 2.4 with
SUNworks (frontend, C++ compiler, debugger, etc.) and some development
add-ons.

Does anyone know if it is possible to order this package (if still
available at this price ;) in the US and use it on a "German" PC ?
What would the consequences be (support, licenses) ?

Thanks for any info

Bernd

2. email problem

3. Offer of Cross-platform development advice

4. making backup copies of tapes

5. Analysts: Sun Messaging Platform Offers Lower TCO

6. CD-R for archival -- how long do they last?

7. >>> Complete AIX-PS/2 Software and Manuals (BEST OFFER) <<<<

8. Multiple IP Address

9. ***** Complete AIX-PS/2 Software and Manuals (BEST OFFER)(repost) *****

10. FS: or Trade: Unlimited User Unixware 2.1.x License - Best Offer

11. ***** Complete AIX-PS/2 Software and Manuals (BEST OFFER) *****

12. What NIC offers the best success?

13. FS: Cisco 2501 Best Offer