? Setup sol7 Sparc remot print to NT Print server

? Setup sol7 Sparc remot print to NT Print server

Post by Robert McIntyr » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have an ultra5 that is conected to my internal lan
I can ping the machine that is the nt print server

How do I configure Sol7 to use this printer?

info

ntprint server
192.168.1.3
pdc_file_sql

printer name
HP LaserJet 5Si/Si Mx Ps

Post by Greg Andre » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I have an ultra5 that is conected to my internal lan
>I can ping the machine that is the nt print server

>How do I configure Sol7 to use this printer?

First, find out of the NT machine is running the LPD print service.
If it is, it will accept TCP connections on port 515.  From your
Ultra 5, type this command:

  telnet 192.168.1.3 515

Then look to see if telnet says it's connected and what your
escape character is.  You're not looking for a login prompt,
just that the connection was made.

If the connection is refused, the NT server is not running LPD.
If the connection times out, then you may have a packet filter
blocking your traffic to the NT server on the printing port.

After your Ultra 5 is able to telnet to port 515 on the NT server
successfully, you can configure the printer.  You need to know
the name that the NT server's LPD service has for the printer.
Then you can enter these commands:

  lpadmin -p my_printer -s ntserver\!nt_printer

where "my printer" is the name you want to use on your Ultra 5 for
the printer, "ntserver" is the hostname or IP address of the NT
server, and "nt_printer" is the name the NT server's LPD service
has for the printer.

  -Greg

? Setup sol7 Sparc remot print to NT Print server

Post by Robert McIntyr » Sat, 29 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Thanks, did all that. When I print from my lutra5 to the NT my printer runs
away printing garbage.

I am useing a HP SI/MX

Thanks for any help!!

Post by Greg Andre » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Thanks, did all that. When I print from my lutra5 to the NT my printer runs
>away printing garbage.

>I am useing a HP SI/MX

Does the garbage start with the line

  %! PS-Adobe 2.0

or something similar?  If so, you're printing Postscript to the
printer.  If the printer doesn't know how to handle Postscript, it
will print the Postscript code itself, instead of the image that
the code describes.

If the printer does know how to handle Postscript, and is running
in a mode that supports Postscript (i.e. isn't configured to only
print text), then your NT server is probably messing up the works.

I've seen reports that the WinNT LPD service will send a Ctrl-Z to
the printer just before the print job.  The printer sees the print
job starts with "Ctrl-Z%!" instead of the Postscript "%!", so it
thinks it should print text instead of Postscript.

Those reports say there's a way to tweak a variable in the WinNT
registry to turn this misfeature off.  I don't remember the exact
procedure, though.  Searching this group in Dejanews ought to turn
it up, or perhaps Microsoft has documented that variable in their
support web pages.

  -Greg