Q: Windows Fonts?

Post by Jim Balso » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:56:13

        I'd like to use some fonts from a place called www.fonts.com. Is there
any way that I can somehow convert a windows based font to be able to use it
with UNIX, Solaris preferably.

        If anyone knows of a URL that gives instructions, please pass it on.

Thanks Jim

--
-----------------------
Jim

Q: Windows Fonts?

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:04:55

>    I'd like to use some fonts from a place called www.fonts.com. Is there
> any way that I can somehow convert a windows based font to be able to use it
> with UNIX, Solaris preferably.

It is possible to use the Windows TTF fonts with Xsun.  You need to create
fonts.dir, fonts.alias and fonts.scale.

Quote:>    If anyone knows of a URL that gives instructions, please pass it on.

mkfontdir(1)

I initially created those files under Linux using ttmkfdir and 2 scripts I
dug up from somewhere.  Too long back to remember where.  Google
"fonts.alias" and "fonts.scale"

Q: Windows Fonts?

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:01:11

|       I'd like to use some fonts from a place called www.fonts.com. Is there
|any way that I can somehow convert a windows based font to be able to use it
|with UNIX, Solaris preferably.

If they are TrueType or PostScript yes, Windows bitmap no.

|       If anyone knows of a URL that gives instructions, please pass it on.

http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/verdana.font.txt

Q: Windows Fonts?

Post by Jim Balso » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:50:01

> |       I'd like to use some fonts from a place called www.fonts.com. Is there
> |any way that I can somehow convert a windows based font to be able to use it
> |with UNIX, Solaris preferably.
> If they are TrueType or PostScript yes, Windows bitmap no.
> |       If anyone knows of a URL that gives instructions, please pass it on.
> http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/verdana.font.txt
> --

>   Working for, but definitely not speaking for, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

        Works as advertised. I now have some really cool fonts to use with
the GIMP.

        Thanks Alan.

Jim

--
-----------------------
Jim

1. Window managers (2 Qs)

Thanks first for the quick response to my kernel rebuilding question,
Jon Gunnar Rue.

First question...I'm using Redhat 5.0 w/ various upgrades.  While in X
(latest version of fvwm2, XFree 3.3.15), the buttons around windows for
maximize, iconify, etc just stop working after ~5 minutes.  This happens
regardless of what "decor" I use (For non-redhat users, RH5 ships with
fvwm2, and the stock fvwm95 interface can change from the quasi-win95
look to afterstep, or Lesstif / Mwm on the fly).  This problem appeared
just recently.

~/.fvwm2rc.* looks OK.  There doesn't seem to be any one offending
app.   I haven't been able to upgrade to XFree 3.3.2; RPM will have none
of that.  The only clue - the number of instances of FvwmButtons in the
process list seems to grow and grow the longer I leave the system up;
kill -PID doesn't work, I can't even go into /proc and force the issue
with rm -rf.  After a few days of using the system, it slows to a crawl
and I have to reboot...reminding me of Windoze NT.  I'm at a loss
here...any ideas?

Second...what functionality does a "Window Manager" have?  For instance,
I see a lot of mention of using Lesstif, CDE, etc. as a window manager.
I guess I'm not clear on when something is just configurations to a
window manager, and when something is a new window manager.  Any info,
or perhaps a pointer to a FAQ, would be great.  More curiosity here than
anything.

2. GNULIBC-2.0.5c

3. unix font similar to Windows "symbol" font

4. SR. UNIX ADMIN (to $70k): Los Angeles, CA area!

5. X-Windows probem with fonts and windows

6. HELP: PPP (add default ........)

7. X Windows Window Manager & Fonts

8. mwm misbehavior on Solaris 2.2

9. Console (I know this is X windows newsgroup) font/window size

10. FONTS FONTS AND MORE FONTS

11. FONTS FONTS FONTS... LOTS OF THEM!!!!!!!

12. changing font and size of AIXterm window

13. Getting small font in a large window!