too many hops error in sendmail.

Post by Gary Franczy » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello all.
I am having a problem with sendmail (I think).  In my /var/adm/messages,
I am getting this message whenever someone tries to send mail to us.

Jul  8 14:44:16 world2 sendmail[17128]: OAA17128: SYSERR(root): too many
hops 32 (30 max): from Mailer-Daemon via ntmain, to

Ok.   ntmain is our NT machine which all external email comes through.
world2 is our mailhost/mailserver.

It seems that ever since our NIS+ domain failed (last wednesday) we have
not been getting mail from the outside.  This may or may not be
connected.  I noticed today that the aliases were not loaded into NIS+
and I loaded them and restarted sendmail, but this did not help.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to check?
Please e-mail me as well as post it to the newsgroup.
Thanks.  Gary Franczyk

Post by Rob Kouwenber » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Jul  8 14:44:16 world2 sendmail[17128]: OAA17128: SYSERR(root): too many
: hops 32 (30 max): from Mailer-Daemon via ntmain, to

: It seems that ever since our NIS+ domain failed (last wednesday) we have
: not been getting mail from the outside.  This may or may not be
: connected.  I noticed today that the aliases were not loaded into NIS+
: and I loaded them and restarted sendmail, but this did not help.

Perhaps a new router has been placed in between, change /etc/sendmail.cf for the line :

# maximum hop count
#O MaxHopCount=30

Remove the comment marker and change the hopcount to something more appropriate.

Regards, Rob Kouwenberg
--
[ robk#stack.nl ]

ALL UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL E-MAILS TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS WILL REMAIN UNREAD
AND WILL BE BOUNCED 100-FOLD TO YOUR POSTMASTER.
(Believe me, I'm *REALLY* not interested!)

see: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html

NOTICE TO BULK EMAILER(S): Pursuant to US Code,
Title 47, Chapter 5,
Subchapter II, 227, any and all unsolicited
commercial e-mail sent to
this address is subject to a download and
archival fee in the amount
of $500 US.

E-Mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.

1. HOP HOP and skip with PINE

Hi all,

        Can anyone help me with a mail problem?

        I can get all my mail from my mail server but they don't say where they come from they say 'user unknown'.
When I look at the mail it is there in full but there is a message attached at the top
saying 'To many hops 20 used 17 is the max. i have increased the hops in the sendmail.conf
to 25 but now it says 28 is the, it appears to be always three out.

        Can anyone help me or explain what is happening! Thank you

DEREK JONES

Q. How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
A. None. Bill Gates announces darkness as an industy standard...!
                        Derek Jones. London. UK

CompuServe: 100533,167
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Running OS/2 Warp on a 100MHz 486

2. Fast video acquisition

3. Sendmail: too many hops...

4. ufsdump onto 4mm DAT

5. sendmail problem: too many hops...

6. O'Reilly X/Motif books available for download

7. Hops in Sendmail

8. tar responds cannot open /dev/rmt8

9. HELP: Can send but not recieve mail with sendmail; "Too many hops"...

10. Solutions for adding IPS Hop in Sendmail

11. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

12. setup.ins error when installing OO in 5.0-REL

13. Sendmail error (sendmail: can't load library 'libgdbm.so.2)