Quotas

Post by sann » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 23:08:44

Hi

I have implemented quotas on a filesystem
There are a few users whom I need to add them in the quotas
But the problem is that the users already have occupied some space under
this area
I mean to say that a few users have not been implemented quotas But now I
need to set quotas for the same.

Is there any method by which I can calculate the previously occupied space
by the user & implement the quotas including the previously created files.

Pls reply to the same ASAP

Regds
Santhosh

Quotas

Post by Fran » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 05:06:59

Hi,

if you activate quotas for users which have already accopied space i this
area, will have no impact for the existing data. If the user occupied less
then the quota, everything is OK. If the user occupied exact the quota space
or more, he can still read the data but is not allowed to write anymore to
this filesystem. If you need to calculate the already used space you can use
find together with ls and awk.
find /<quota filesystem> -user <user which needs quota> -exec ls -l {} \;

Quote:>/tmp/<user_space>.txt

cat /tmp/<user_space>.txt | awk '<get size column and accumulte it>'

Hope this helps.

Frank

Quotas

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 04:17:22

Quote:> Hi

> I have implemented quotas on a filesystem
> There are a few users whom I need to add them in the quotas
> But the problem is that the users already have occupied some space under
> this area
> I mean to say that a few users have not been implemented quotas But now I
> need to set quotas for the same.

> Is there any method by which I can calculate the previously occupied space
> by the user & implement the quotas including the previously created files.

man quotacheck

--
Andrew Gabriel

1. Quotas : Format of quota.users & quota.groups ?

Hi,

I am running Linux-FT with kernel 1.2.13 and quota patches. I would like
to enable quotas in order to control memory usage by apps (I'm trying to
debug an app that keeps grabbing all system memory, preventing me from
typing kill).

In order to enable quotas, files called quota.users and quota.groups
need to be present in the root directory. The 'edquota'
program is supposed to be used to set these up, but it simply invokes vi,
expecting the user to know the file format. The man pages say that
the file format is 'inscrutable', but don't actually describe it anywhere!

Anyone know the correct format ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

| Steve Mottram                                                             |
|                                                                           |
| University Department of Anaesthesia  |    Internal Phone : LRI 5694      |
| Leicester Royal Infirmary             |    Phone  :  +44 (0)116 258 5291  |
| Leicester LE1 5WW                     |    Fax    :  +44 (0)116 285 4487  |

| Witty bit deleted due to budget cuts.                                     |

2. Software Availibity

3. Quotas on Solaris vs quotas on Linux

4. Modem setup

5. user quotas and printer usage quotas on NT domain

6. starting XFree86 4.2.1 causes my laptop to freeze

7. quota: format of quota.user

8. Configuring X For Gateway Monitors

9. QUOTA - Crashes whenever someone goes over quota

10. quota deadlocks and large quota.*-files

11. /usr/sbin/quota SLOW without quotas

12. RH71: Confused Quotas - quotaon looking for quota.user, edquota looking for aquota.user

13. How to set quota and mail quota