SPARC solaris VS solaris x86

Post by Philip Polstr » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> 2 issues you might want to consider.

> Software is usually more available for the Sparc variant, e.g.
> netscape.

In general that is true (I've run both).  Netscape IS available for both
platforms though.

Quote:> The other, more critical, issue is device certification.  Unlike Windows
> based systems, UNIX systems seem to be very picky about the precise
> hardware specifications.  You usually cannot run any UNIX system on a
> lot of off-the-shelf motherboards, memory SIMM's, disk controllers, disk
> drives, video boards, etc...  Before you go the x86 route, make sure
> that all the equipment you intend to use is certified by the software
> vendor.
> --

You need to be careful.  As long as you don't buy generic you should be
ok.  The only piece of hardware I had trouble with was a VERY generic
CD-ROM on an otherwise generic machine.

--
Phil Polstra

http://www.inetnow.net/~ppolstra

Post by Joseph M. DeAngel » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

2 issues you might want to consider.

Software is usually more available for the Sparc variant, e.g.
netscape.

The other, more critical, issue is device certification.  Unlike Windows
based systems, UNIX systems seem to be very picky about the precise
hardware specifications.  You usually cannot run any UNIX system on a
lot of off-the-shelf motherboards, memory SIMM's, disk controllers, disk
drives, video boards, etc...  Before you go the x86 route, make sure
that all the equipment you intend to use is certified by the software
vendor.
Joseph M. DeAngelo                  Voice: (847) 781-6940 x6938
The Workstation Group, Ltd.         Fax:   (847) 781-6978

Schaumburg, IL 60195-3172           WWW:   http://www.wrkgrp.com

SPARC solaris VS solaris x86

Post by Philippe Legra » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

We are at an intersection here at work:

Building a new Sun SparcStation-4, a already approved platform,with
32Mb and 4Gb HD, or buy a Pentium Pro 150 with bunch of HD an
memory and Solaris x86.

I am personnaly for the first solution, because I think it is more
stable.
My boss have the other advice. Any suggsetion?

Thanks

Post by BobX » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> We are at an intersection here at work:

> Building a new Sun SparcStation-4, a already approved platform,with
> 32Mb and 4Gb HD, or buy a Pentium Pro 150 with bunch of HD an
> memory and Solaris x86.

> I am personnaly for the first solution, because I think it is more
> stable.
> My boss have the other advice. Any suggsetion?

> Thanks

I suggest the Pentium, since it is simpler to upgrade later (and also
cheaper).

BobX

P.S.:  X86 is proving super-stable for me.

Post by Erik Christians » Sun, 06 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,

: We are at an intersection here at work:

: Building a new Sun SparcStation-4, a already approved platform,with
: 32Mb and 4Gb HD, or buy a Pentium Pro 150 with bunch of HD an
: memory and Solaris x86.

        I run Solaris2.5-x86 at home, on a 120MHz pentium with 32Mb, and
scsi peripherals. Originally installing Solaris2.4 had its problems, but
since 2.5, things are fine. Even Applixware runs snappily. Vertical bands
are occasionally wiped from the current window when the mouse is used,
but a drag operation brings it back. Mains power failed twice in the last
few months ( electricity generation has been privatised ) but on reboot
there wasn't even muck fsck-ing. It seems pretty robust to me.

        Probably a more important consideration: Is all the software that
you want to run available for Solaris_x86? Third party software for the
platform is either later than for Sparc, or not forthcoming.

        I would advise a phone-help support contract while you become
accustomed to the funny platform. Incidentally, my disks are not tainted
by the faintest hint of any DOS partitions, despite the recommendation in
the Solaris booklets.

        The bundled PPP software has a few known bugs, and can not be
made to handle dynammic IPs.

        I'm about to add a laser printer. The HP-5MP has a parallel port,
but Solaris will only talk to it via ethernet, using HP's JetAdmin software.
HP's ftp site says that the JetAdmin utility will work with SPARCstation. I
found no mention of other platforms!

Erik
  AARDVARK Public Access Internet  -  Melbourne, Australia  -  (03)9886-3800

Post by Simon Bur » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>         I run Solaris2.5-x86 at home, on a 120MHz pentium with 32Mb, and
> scsi peripherals.

Same here, although the box I've got is of a higher spec. IMHO, Solaris 2.4
and upwards is a *very* nice OS to use, especially since I've got a dual
pentium system. Solaris for x86 has come on a *long* way since the days of
Solaris x86 2.1, the "oh look, its gone down again" OS that caused me a
little bit of stress until the company I was working for upgraded to 2.4.

Quote:>         The bundled PPP software has a few known bugs, and can not be
> made to handle dynammic IPs.

I noticed this problem as well. I'm currently using ppp-2.2 which handles
PPP much better. It works fine on 2.[45] with no problems.

Quote:>         I'm about to add a laser printer. The HP-5MP has a parallel port,
> but Solaris will only talk to it via ethernet, using HP's JetAdmin software.

I've used an HP 5MP with *no* problems via a parallel port on Solaris 2.[45].
You just have tell Solaris that its a printer that accepts both PS and text
files. Its relatively simple to configure via admintool or via the command
line if you're willing to RTFM and dig in lpd's myriad configuration files.

Quote:> HP's ftp site says that the JetAdmin utility will work with SPARCstation. I
> found no mention of other platforms!

AFAIR, JetAdmin is only available for SPARCs, on SunOS 4.x and *not* Solaris.
The SysAdmins around here * about it from time to time :)

--

Post by Charl » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: AFAIR, JetAdmin is only available for SPARCs, on SunOS 4.x and *not* Solaris.
: The SysAdmins around here * about it from time to time :)

Your SysAdmins should spend less time *ing and more time working.
Jet Admin has been available for Solaris/Sparc for several years.

--
        Harnad describes the status of Usenet aptly:
                a communication medium with revolutionary intellectual

Post by Mark Tov » Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>>         I run Solaris2.5-x86 at home, on a 120MHz pentium with 32Mb, and
>> scsi peripherals.

>Same here, although the box I've got is of a higher spec. IMHO, Solaris 2.4
>and upwards is a *very* nice OS to use, especially since I've got a dual
>pentium system. Solaris for x86 has come on a *long* way since the days of
>Solaris x86 2.1, the "oh look, its gone down again" OS that caused me a
>little bit of stress until the company I was working for upgraded to 2.4.

>>         The bundled PPP software has a few known bugs, and can not be
>> made to handle dynammic IPs.

>I noticed this problem as well. I'm currently using ppp-2.2 which handles
>PPP much better. It works fine on 2.[45] with no problems.

    I agree that the bundled PPP is somewhat buggy, but it does
support dynamic IPs.  That is how I am connected now as I write this.
I haven't tried ppp2.2 yet, but I have heard that it is a vast
improvement.

Quote:

>>         I'm about to add a laser printer. The HP-5MP has a parallel port,
>> but Solaris will only talk to it via ethernet, using HP's JetAdmin software.

>I've used an HP 5MP with *no* problems via a parallel port on Solaris 2.[45].
>You just have tell Solaris that its a printer that accepts both PS and text
>files. Its relatively simple to configure via admintool or via the command
>line if you're willing to RTFM and dig in lpd's myriad configuration files.

>> HP's ftp site says that the JetAdmin utility will work with SPARCstation. I
>> found no mention of other platforms!

>AFAIR, JetAdmin is only available for SPARCs, on SunOS 4.x and *not* Solaris.
>The SysAdmins around here * about it from time to time :)

    Not true.  We use JetAdmin to connect our Sparcs running Solaris
to our HP printers over the network.  True, it isn't available for the
x86 platform.

    -Mark Tovey

Mark Tovey          | The nice thing about standards is that you have so
Unix System Admin   | many to choose from; furthermore, if you do not like

                    |                                -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

1. SPARC Solaris vs Solaris x86

I'm planning to purchase a Solaris capable system to support JAVA development
in the very near future.  My background is almost exclusively UNIX; my PC
experience being limited to playing with them in stores. It looks like I can
either purchase a used SPARC system to run Solaris or a new Pentium-based
system to run Solaris x86 for about the same money.  (I'm too impatient to wait
for Solaris on the PowerPC.) I've read through the x86 FAQs and except for
a greater sensitivity to hardware configurations, I don't see too much
difference between the two products.  I'd appreciate hearing from Solaris
users about the differences between the two products.  I would also like to
know if any of the major PC outlets such as DELL or Gateway2000 offer a
Solaris system.  Thanks in advance

Fred

2. Beginner's question on tty

3. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

4. Problem in displaying X remotely

5. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

6. slow ssh negotiation

7. x86 Solaris vs Sparc Solaris

8. Hints for building menu-driven system ?

9. sparc (ultra sparc) solaris 8 vs. intel solaris 8 comparison

10. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8

11. Performance of Solaris 2.4 on x86 vs SPARC

12. Sparc vs. x86 Solaris

13. Solaris 2.4 X86 vs Sparc