Installing Oracle 10g on Sun Cluster 3.1 u3

Installing Oracle 10g on Sun Cluster 3.1 u3

Post by mari » Tue, 24 May 2005 20:10:36

Hello all,

I really hope someone has experience with this scenario - if you believe Sun
and Oracle, it's rather frequent, yet....

Solaris 9, 2-node cluster with Sun Cluster 3.1 u3.

I have, of course, selected a DID device as the quorum device.

Allright, so now I start installing Oracle 10g, and I wan to install it in
"cluster-aware" form, so that it relies on SC.

At a certain point, I am prompted to enter the "Voting Disk": "Cluster
Synchronization Services (CSS) voting disk is used to arbitrate ownership of
the cluster among cluster nodes in the event of a complete private network
failure. Specify a shared raw device, or cluster filesystem file that will
be visible by the same name on all nodes of the cluster. A CSS voting disk
will be created for you, and will require approximately 20MB of disk space."
To which I thought "WTF???". This is exactly what the quorum device is for,
and yes, I did install UDLM. And I also read the "Pre-installation Tasks for
RAC on Solaris", but nothing is mentioned regarding CSS vs Sun Cluster
quorum device.

What am I doing wrong.

Installing Oracle 10g on Sun Cluster 3.1 u3

Post by mari » Mon, 30 May 2005 21:12:59

Quote:> Hello all,

> I really hope someone has experience with this scenario - if you believe
Sun
> and Oracle, it's rather frequent, yet....

> Solaris 9, 2-node cluster with Sun Cluster 3.1 u3.

> I have, of course, selected a DID device as the quorum device.

> Allright, so now I start installing Oracle 10g, and I wan to install it in
> "cluster-aware" form, so that it relies on SC.

> At a certain point, I am prompted to enter the "Voting Disk": "Cluster
> Synchronization Services (CSS) voting disk is used to arbitrate ownership
of
> the cluster among cluster nodes in the event of a complete private network
> failure. Specify a shared raw device, or cluster filesystem file that will
> be visible by the same name on all nodes of the cluster. A CSS voting disk
> will be created for you, and will require approximately 20MB of disk
space."
> To which I thought "WTF???". This is exactly what the quorum device is
for,
> and yes, I did install UDLM. And I also read the "Pre-installation Tasks
for
> RAC on Solaris", but nothing is mentioned regarding CSS vs Sun Cluster
> quorum device.

I will answer my own post, maybe it will be usefrul info for someone: the
CSS Voting Disk is not in conflict with the Sun Cluster quorum device. They
are independent and, apparently, perform somewhat different functions. So, I
just specified a softlink to a raw device and all went well.

1. Oracle Listener Probe Monitory for Sun cluster 3.1

Hi, i have question regarding Oracle Agent for Sun cluster 3.1.
Due to havy load of our Sun cluster Machine, we get sometimes this
messages in the /var/adm/messages:
[ID 914248 user.error] Listener status probe timed out after 15
seconds.
[ID 914248 user.error] Listener status probe timed out after 15
seconds.
This cause stop and restart the listener in our Resource group.
I want to know if it's possible to increase the time before the
resource Listener try to restart, i am searching for the probe time
out, but i see nothing with 15 seconds.
Thanks for you answer.

Regards

2. How to Uninstall MMDF, Install SendMail

3. Oracle 10g (ASM vs Veritas Clustered FS)

4. don't know what to do...

5. solaris 10 zones and sun cluster 3.1

6. 2.10BSD vs 2.9BSD: What do I get for my $200.00?

7. Minimal package requirements for Sun Cluster 3.1

8. ld problem under linux

9. QFS /Sun Cluster 3.1

10. Data Migration on Sun Cluster Nodes (2.2 & 3.1 Versions)

11. Solaris 10 panic while installing Websphere 6.0.2.5 / Oracle 10G R2

12. Oracle announced ocfs for solaris avaiable on 10g r2, any one have it installed or tested?

13. Installing oracle 10g on Solaris 10 x86 v40z