Problem doing net install for 2.6

Post by Michael Huck » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've set up an installation server on an Ultra running 2.5.1, and a boot
server on a Sparc 20 running 2.6.  The boot server is on the same subnet as
the target machine; the installation server is on a different subnet.  I've
done all the steps documented in the Advanced Installation manual regarding
add_install_client and so forth on the boot server and the installation
server.

When I boot the target (an SLC with a 600 MB disk), it prints the following
sequence of messages on the console:

   root server: (omitted :-))
   root directory: /t/solaris-2.6-install/Solaris_2.6/Tools/Boot
   SunOS Release 5.6 Version Generic [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]
   Copyright (C) 1983-1997, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
   Framing error FIFO overflow CRC error  whoami: no domain name

After this, the target machine simply hangs.

Looks like something is going badly wrong.  I don't know what the framing
error, etc., are about.  Can someone more experienced at this help me figure
out what's going on, and why this is failing?

(We're using DNS and not NIS, so I'm assuming that the "no domain name"
errors are related to NIS and not part of the main problem.  I could be wrong.)

Any help much appreciated.

--

 PhD to be, computational models of human visual processing (AI Lab)     of
   UNIX systems administrator & programmer/analyst (EECS DCO)         Michigan

Problem doing net install for 2.6

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>   Framing error FIFO overflow CRC error  whoami: no domain name
>After this, the target machine simply hangs.
>Looks like something is going badly wrong.  I don't know what the framing
>error, etc., are about.  Can someone more experienced at this help me figure
>out what's going on, and why this is failing?

The framing error etc are often caused by switches that garble packets
that arent' meant for a specific port.

Quote:>(We're using DNS and not NIS, so I'm assuming that the "no domain name"
>errors are related to NIS and not part of the main problem.  I could be wrong.)

I think it wants to have a domainname set, but I'm not sure.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Newbie Install Q - 2.6 x86 (Net & Video)

Hi All,

Tried installing Solaris x86 on two separate Intel boxes. (first time
UNIX user)

Issue #1) Installation went OK, compatibility list says my dlink 500TX
net card is supported, but network not working.

it seems to me ifconfig does not look like it is using a dlink driver
though, it seems to be trying to tell me it is using a DEC driver.

The question, how do I try to change the netcard setup ???

Issue #2) (separate computer - installed successfully trying to maintain
a dual boot scenario. Solaris installed perfectly - But user error :-(
killed the dual boot - NT was dead on gone  (no comments please !)

I took the opportunity to repartition things better & re-install the
works. The second (& 3rd, & 4th) attempts to install Solaris, cannot seem
to find a serial pointing device. Yet it did the first time.

Any ideas on that one ???

Thanks !

--
My EMail address contains a # to try to
thwart mail spamming.

2. Performance Monitoring

3. boot/install Solaris 2.6 from net

4. Help for a newbie

5. Installing Solaris 2.6 on drive with existing DOS partitions

6. XON or CTS probs?

7. Problems installing by CDROM/Problems installing by DOS partition

8. ELF + 1.3.x kernel -> kernel header can't be identified

9. NFS Write error whilst doing a net install

10. Doing net install with 2 ethernet cards in place?

11. 2.6 FCS -> 2.6 5/98 upgrade fails because /usr moved to /usr:2.6

12. Install problem: Apache/PHP3/Oracle In Sloaris 2.6

13. Problem with x86 2.6 install