simple question on mail

Post by Harry K Anderson, II » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

The execution of a script generates a text file (FILE1).  I want the
script to mail that file to somebody (USER1). I currently am using this:

mail $USER1 <FILE1

This works, but I want to include a subject line and have been
unsuccessful at achieving this.  Any help posted here or mailed to me
would be appreciated.....

simple question on mail

Post by John R. Dai » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: mail $USER1 <FILE1

I use mailx(1) instead of mail:

/bin/mailx -s "Subject here" $USER1 < FILE1

--
John R. Daily

simple question on mail

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> The execution of a script generates a text file (FILE1).  I want the
> script to mail that file to somebody (USER1). I currently am using this:

> mail $USER1 <FILE1

> This works, but I want to include a subject line and have been
> unsuccessful at achieving this.  Any help posted here or mailed to me
> would be appreciated.....

I believe "mailx" has a subject option, while "mail does not:

        mailx -s "This is the subject" $USER1 <FILE1

Ought to work.
--
Kurt J. Lanza

simple question on mail

Post by Martin Recktenwal » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: mail $USER1 <FILE1

: This works, but I want to include a subject line and have been
: unsuccessful at achieving this.  Any help posted here or mailed to me
: would be appreciated.....

Just include at the top of FILE1 a
Subject: subject
line, followed by an empty line.

   Martin.

simple question on mail

Post by j carrol » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> The execution of a script generates a text file (FILE1).  I want the
> script to mail that file to somebody (USER1). I currently am using this:

> mail $USER1 <FILE1

> This works, but I want to include a subject line and have been
> unsuccessful at achieving this.  Any help posted here or mailed to me
> would be appreciated.....

man mailx

--
|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| To send e-mail remove "-no-spam"

|------------------------------------------------------------------------|

simple question on mail

Post by ask » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > The execution of a script generates a text file (FILE1).  I want the
> > script to mail that file to somebody (USER1). I currently am using this:

> > mail $USER1 <FILE1

> > This works, but I want to include a subject line and have been
> > unsuccessful at achieving this.  Any help posted here or mailed to me
> > would be appreciated.....

> man mailx

> --
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | My views are my views and not necessarily those of any other entity!
> |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | To send e-mail remove "-no-spam"
> |
> |------------------------------------------------------------------------|

You could use,

1. simple (?) mail question

Hi,
here's the problem:

a linux box with no incoming mail configured reads mail from a pop3
server with the nifty program 'getmail', making it readable with
'pine'. There's a variable FROM_HOST set so that in any reply via pine
we have the pop3 server as the correct domain. Yet the user in question
has a different login-name on the linux-box and the pop3 server.
This yields an illegal combination as the reply-address:

where   user=login name in linux machine
and     server=pop3 server.

Can pine be told to use a certain username? I know it is possible to
set a personal-name , but this does not affect the email address.

Any help appreciated.

Chris

- Christian Stoecker                                            -
- Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum, NA 4/75, Tel. 3324                  -
- http://www.cplx.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~cst                   -

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 5 of 6)

3. Simple Mail Admin question (I hope)...

4. how to compile/attach library X11

5. simple mailing question

6. Solaris upgrade methods

7. Simple Mail question...

8. Installing Debian from diskette / network - can't read the menus

9. Simple Mail Question

10. simple mail server questions

11. Simple Mail Question

12. simple mail server question