Performance Tuning a SPARC/Solaris combination

Performance Tuning a SPARC/Solaris combination

Post by Kevin R. Fenst » Sun, 11 Dec 1994 02:54:09

Simply put:  I need help!!

I could use some suggestions on where to go or what to read regarding
performance tuning with Solaris 2.3 (maybe 2.4 soon?) on a SPARCserver 490.
I've looked the section in the AnswerBook about system tuning, but it
seems like it tells me how to look, but not how to interpret.  I'd like to
be able to take some measurements, interpret the results, make an intelligent
hypothesis about what to do, do it, and then let some new measurements show
that what I did helped.

When we get upwards of 35-40 users, with 6-10 of them running SPSS jobs, and
others running language compilers, and still others doing who-knows-what, the
performance starts to slowdown.  Logins take longer, accessing mail files
take longer, compilers run slower.  I look at the system using vmstat, and
I see 60-70meg of swap space used up.  I see paging; a lot? I don't know.
I see under 'interrupts' the 'sys' column going above 10,000 at times.

I'm suspecting memory.  Why?  I always suspect memory :-).  I've got 64meg
in it, and it doesn't take a lot of time for me to imagine how that little
of memory could get used up.  But how do you tell if additional memory would
help?

Granted, a 490 isn't that fast of a machine by today's standards.  But I'm
going to need an analysis that shows that we are unable to server our students
with this system.  Anybody got a 490 running Solaris 2.3 serving lots of
students?  What kind of configuration do you have?

Thanks for all pointers and nudges.

Later,
Kevin R. Fenster
Nebraska Wesleyan University

Performance Tuning a SPARC/Solaris combination

Post by Casper H.S. D » Mon, 12 Dec 1994 00:09:18

Quote:>When we get upwards of 35-40 users, with 6-10 of them running SPSS jobs, and
>others running language compilers, and still others doing who-knows-what, the
>performance starts to slowdown.  Logins take longer, accessing mail files
>take longer, compilers run slower.  I look at the system using vmstat, and
>I see 60-70meg of swap space used up.  I see paging; a lot? I don't know.
>I see under 'interrupts' the 'sys' column going above 10,000 at times.
>I'm suspecting memory.  Why?  I always suspect memory :-).  I've got 64meg
>in it, and it doesn't take a lot of time for me to imagine how that little
>of memory could get used up.  But how do you tell if additional memory would
>help?

Try vmstat .  It'll tell you about the scan rate (sr), the number of
pages scanned per second.  If it's hihg, you are lacking memory.
swap -s will tell you how much swap is used, also an indication of
used physical memory.

There's going to be a book on performance tuning/performance measuring
from SunSoft Real soon now (by Adrian*croft).

Casper

Post by Sean O'Nei » Fri, 16 Dec 1994 08:32:31

: There's going to be a book on performance tuning/performance measuring
: from SunSoft Real soon now (by Adrian*croft).

: Casper

I found out its supposed to be published on Dec 23, 1994.  I think for
around 30 bucks.

Sean O'Neill
Rapid Systems Solutions, Inc.

1. SPARC performance tuning - balancing internal HD's loads?

I take care a few medium to light duty web servers here (all SS5s, 170
Mhz, and 160 MB RAM each, Solaris 2.5.1).  They all have two 2 G 5400
RPM HDs.

One of them lately started showing higher load average, so I began
to monitor this machine a few days ago.

It didn't take long for me to spot the fact that the two internal HDs
are loaded unevenly.  A sample of iostat 5 5 is given below:

$ iostat 5 5
      tty          sd1           sd3          cpu
 tin tout Kps tps serv  Kps tps serv  us sy wt id
   0  395   9   1   37  315  63  105  10 20 25 45
   0  802   2   0   17  433  99   56  21 26 38 15
   0 1103   2   0   13  554 120   84  28 33 36  2
   0  707   0   0    0  429  98   61  21 19 53  8
   0  993   6   1   14  528 114  128  17 30 46  7

Obviously, the first internal HD sd3 is making many more seeks than
the 2nd one, which is used only for server access logs.  sd3 is used
both as system disk and the front file system of CacheFS.  I know
fully well that sd3 is overburdened, however, I don't have any good
idea as far as balancing the load of the two HDs. For example, if I
move the CacheFS to sd1, it will be the bottleneck right away. I don't
think the CacheFS can be spread over two HDs either.  I just don't see
a way out of this right now.

Would be thankful for any hints/suggestions.

Thanks,

Chin Fang

2. gnumeric and gal

3. Solaris 10 - Performance tuning

4. How to change display resolution ?

5. Tuning Solaris 2.5 Network Performance

6. Q: Pthreads and UNIX 98

7. Performance Tuning Solaris 2.3

8. Top 10 List, Why Linus dosent work

9. performance tuning solaris

10. Solaris Best Performance and Tuning

11. Solaris Performance Tuning.

12. Performance Tuning Info for Solaris 2.X

13. Apache on Solaris Performance Tuning