Network interface disappeared-gone-kaput

Network interface disappeared-gone-kaput

Post by Rust » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 03:06:01

Hi,

Im new to Solaris so bare (bear?) with me.  We have an E3000 that was
running an old version of Solaris.  I upgraded to Solaris 8 but when I
did QFE0 dissappeared.  The packages are still there for the Quad
fastethernet and there's a /dev/qfe but ifconfig -a only shows the
loopback interface.

I found this on Suns site.  Do I just need to upgrade the drivers?

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hw/networking/connectivity/su...

Thanks
Rusty

Post by Rust » Fri, 27 Jul 2001 06:36:41

> Hi,

> Im new to Solaris so bare (bear?) with me.  We have an E3000 that was
> running an old version of Solaris.  I upgraded to Solaris 8 but when I
> did QFE0 dissappeared.  The packages are still there for the Quad
> fastethernet and there's a /dev/qfe but ifconfig -a only shows the
> loopback interface.

> I found this on Suns site.  Do I just need to upgrade the drivers?

> http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hw/networking/connectivity/su...

> Thanks
> Rusty

As an afterthought...QFE0 used to exist and the machine was available
on the network via that interface.  I've verified that
/etc/hostname.qfe0 exists and that its name is listed in /etc/hosts.
But still no QFE0 under Solaris8.

Any input is greatly appreciated.  (Im new enough to Solaris to not
know which fm to look in when i rtfm)

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:40:02

> Im new to Solaris so bare (bear?) with me.  We have an E3000 that was
> running an old version of Solaris.  I upgraded to Solaris 8 but when I
> did QFE0 dissappeared.  The packages are still there for the Quad
> fastethernet and there's a /dev/qfe but ifconfig -a only shows the
> loopback interface.
> I found this on Suns site.  Do I just need to upgrade the drivers?

What I'm afraid of is that the Solaris 8 upgrade didn't upgrade the QFE
drivers that the previous admin installed from that CDROM, and that the old
drivers aren't compatible with Solaris 8...

Do you have a Sun support contract?

Post by killer » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 05:48:53

> Hi,

> Im new to Solaris so bare (bear?) with me.  We have an E3000 that was
> running an old version of Solaris.  I upgraded to Solaris 8 but when I
> did QFE0 dissappeared.  The packages are still there for the Quad
> fastethernet and there's a /dev/qfe but ifconfig -a only shows the
> loopback interface.

> I found this on Suns site.  Do I just need to upgrade the drivers?

> http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hw/networking/connectivity/su...

> Thanks
> Rusty

Add the QFE interface to /etc/hosts

like this:

ip_address_here [use 1 tab ] ur_hostname.qfeX_here[ where X is the
port number ]

so it will look like this:

10.1.1.1  box1

some tid bits which works:

suppose you are running your ip on interface xxx ( say hme0 or qfe1 or
whatever )
1. bring the interface down with ifconfig xxx down < use this when
it's up >
if you are in a telnet session you probably have lost connection now
2. set up the new interface say ifconfig xxx 234.123.567.233
ifconfig will set broadcast and netmask cleverly. if that is wrong you
may give these as commandline arguments as well. see the man page for
that
3. bring up the interface with ifconfig xxx up
4. put the new hostname in the file /etc/hostname.xxx . this is for
reboot procedures. make sure that this hostname properly appears in
/etc/inet/hosts as well
5. take a look at all the interfaces with ifconfig -a
6. you may change THE hostname of your machine with nodename
MYNEWNAME. each interface may have its own hostname on the other hand.

send me mail regardless of the outcome when you have done these
things.

1. Internal Drive went kaput

Does anybody have a link to a FAQ on the best way to restore "/" and the other
partitions which lived on the boot disk (internal drive)?

The OS is 5.9, and yes I do have a UFS dump of the whole shebang.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart
Dr. Stuart A. Weinstein
Ewa Beach Institute of Tectonics
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a creationist"

"Creationists aren't impervious to Logic: They're oblivious to it."

2. Why is this segfaulting (using stat()) ?

3. Part of RPM database gone, kaput.

4. SuSE 6.2 - has Win32 emulator?

5. Network Interface disappears on reboot

6. Anyway to read mail from Netware server?

7. Network interface disappears on reboot

8. fcntl(..,F_SETLK,..) over

9. Interfaces don't go down when network is physically down

10. Force network package to go thru a particular interface

11. Network interfaces go down every 34 minutes

12. Local Network Over 200ft cable network disappearing

13. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!