How do I create a bootable CD-R for Sun,Ultra-4 ?

How do I create a bootable CD-R for Sun,Ultra-4 ?

Post by Gee M Won » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

In an attempt to simplify the disaster recovery process at my site, I
would like to create a custom bootable CD-R which will trigger a restore
from tape.

Do I use the same boot block that is used for a hard drive?

And how do I get the boot block recorded onto a CD-R?

--
Gee M Wong

Computer Sciences Corporation
Technical Architect

How do I create a bootable CD-R for Sun,Ultra-4 ?

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>In an attempt to simplify the disaster recovery process at my site, I
>would like to create a custom bootable CD-R which will trigger a restore
>from tape.

>Do I use the same boot block that is used for a hard drive?

>And how do I get the boot block recorded onto a CD-R?

Get a recent cdrtools (cdrecord+mkisofs+cdda2wav+...), read
the README's for Solaris boot and start hacking ;-)

--

1. CD-R devices and creating bootable cds

    I have a Philips CDD 2600 connected to a Solaris 2.5.1 box, and I
    have a need to construct a bootable Unix CD with several partitions
    on it.

    I've created CDs using the free utilities "cdrecord" and "mkisofs"
    before, but I can't seem to be able to figure out how to do what I
    want with these tools in this case.

    So, I guess these are my questions:

        1. Can I make a bootable CD with cdrecord?  Can I make a CD that
           solaris will see as having several partitions with cdrecord?

        2. If not, are there other free utilities out there that will do
           what I want?

        3. If not, is there something commercial that will get the job
           done?

    Thanks in advance for any light you guys can shed on this subject.

--

bose corporation          ph: (508) 776-4221
engineering systems       systems administrator

2. Visit my site for javascripts, midis, links and chat!!!

3. LILO 0.15/creating two bootable dos partitions on the same drive

4. X Server splatters with Riva128

5. Multiple bootable dos' bootable by linux ?

6. Linux starts ok, BUT...(???)

7. how to create a bootable CD

8. Mouse not working in Xfree86

9. creating a bootable redhat install CD

10. How to create a bootable CD with the install floopy disk image(s)?

11. Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?

12. Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

13. Create bootable Linux CD