graphical disk usage utility

Post by Citizen Ka » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Help!  I'm looking for a shareware/freeware program that will graphically
disply disk usage versus total disk space.  I need it for a sunsparc 20
running solaris 2.5

www.ax.com/users/shom/

graphical disk usage utility

Post by Michael Wals » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

ftp to ftp.fu-berlin.de
somewhere in /pub/unix is a utility that I tried.  I think it was called
spacetool.  It will work as you want.  Which compiler are you using?

Quote:> Help!  I'm looking for a shareware/freeware program that will graphically
> disply disk usage versus total disk space.  I need it for a sunsparc 20
> running solaris 2.5

> www.ax.com/users/shom/

1. overview on disk-usage/graphical du-alternative

Hi,

There are some graphical du-alternatives for Qt/KDE like
kdirstat, kdumon, kgraphspace, kleandisk,kwikdisk - whatever.

But now there's a new method to display disk usage in a better way:

I am the author of QTreeMap, a general Qt-Widget to display Treemaps of
any kind. ( http://qtreemap.sourceforge.net )
QTreeMap is currently used by
KDirStat http://kdirstat.sourceforge.net/kdirstat/
to display a filesystem as a Treemap like 'SequoiaView' does it on Win32.
A Treemap is a much better way to display a deep hierarchy like a filesystem
than the traditional QListView/KListView.

I am searching for developers, beta-testers, users and feedback to help me
with my project, a rpm of kdirstat using this Treemap view is available:
http://qtreemap.sourceforge.net/download/kdirstat-1.7.8-1.i386.rpm

Treemaps are a 'new way' of displaying a hierarchy (which elements can be
associated with a size) in a rectangular painting area.
Each node of the hierarchy is drawn as a rectangle, with it's subnodes drawn
recursively into it - the area size of each rectangle is proportional to the
'size' of the node, so large elements/node have large rectangles, small
elements small rectangles.
You can see the whole hierarchy at one glance.

QTreeMap is also used in KProf  http://kprof.sourceforge.net to display
profiling information as Treemaps.

I'm searching for other Applications that operate on some hierarchy to add to
them a QTreeMap view.

QTreeMap contains classes that read out the hierarchy directly from a
QListView, so QTreeMap should be easily usuable in any Qt/KDE-based
application.

Links:

QTreeMap         http://qtreemap.sourceforge.net
KDirStat                 http://kdirstat.sourceforge.net/kdirstat/
KProf            http://kprof.sourceforge.net
SequoiaView, Treemap Viewer for Win32      http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
Home of the inventor of Treemaps:        http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/treemaps/

I'm hoping for any feedback

Alex

--
                   Alexander Rawass

http://tuxfleet.sourceforge.net http://qtreemap.sourceforge.net
...but some day you'll be a STAR in somebody else's SKY...

2. Whats happening with firewire?

3. Help w/Disk usage utility

4. Solving a DHCP Issue - Q&A

5. xdiff / graphical merge utility?

6. help: partition resizing...

7. Is there a Graphical World-Time utility ?

8. How to use the UNIX command: tr

9. Slackware--Is There a Graphical Setup/Admin/Config Utility?

10. XDiskFree V1.3 - graphical display of HD usage

11. Graphical partitioning utility

12. Graphical CPU usage on dual processor Alpha?

13. graphical mount utilities for Gnome?