HELP - Need Info on imaging/cloning drives

HELP - Need Info on imaging/cloning drives

Post by Pat Lope » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

We are planning on deploying a large number of Sun boxes and I am looking
for people who have had experience using cloning/imaging software..I would
like to find out what actually worked and what didn't.

The basic idea is that we want to connect a number of ultra 5s and 10s to a
hub and use one box as a server to load the image to all the others. We want
to limit the labor involved in performing this. and we also do not really
care about the time it take to perform this imaging. we will also want to
load specific applications on specific machine. As of now I am more
concerned with copying the images reliably. I figure that If I can do one
The other will follow.

I would appreciate any and all input relating to this.

HELP - Need Info on imaging/cloning drives

Post by Unix Sys Adm » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

It looks like a task for rdist (see man pages).

With a little bit of scripting and the necessary permissions set you could
use ufsdump and ufsrestore in combination to transfer filesystems in a
clean way.

> We are planning on deploying a large number of Sun boxes and I am looking
> for people who have had experience using cloning/imaging software..I would
> like to find out what actually worked and what didn't.

> The basic idea is that we want to connect a number of ultra 5s and 10s to a
> hub and use one box as a server to load the image to all the others. We want
> to limit the labor involved in performing this. and we also do not really
> care about the time it take to perform this imaging. we will also want to
> load specific applications on specific machine. As of now I am more
> concerned with copying the images reliably. I figure that If I can do one
> The other will follow.

> I would appreciate any and all input relating to this.

To send e-mail please remove the anti-spam and use:
my username: jlms
my mailbox sits in: geocities.com

1. Hard drive Image and cloning

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:31:20 -0500, Electromik staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

First, define "clone".  If you want to replicate everything including
the partition table and bootloader, you can't.  The partition table the
old drive uses will be incorrect for the new drive--wrong CHS values and
whatnot.  So forget the "dd" approach.

If you merely want to copy the files over, that can be done by plugging
both drives in, mounting them, fdisk + mkfs the new drive, and transfer
files using tar or cpio or cp -r.  The bootloader will not survive this
transition, naturally, so you'll have to run LILO or do a SYS C: or run
the BSD equivalent of LILO on this new drive.  This approach will not
work under a filesystem that Linux does not fully support, meaning
forget using this approach for NTFS.

If you really need to transfer an NTFS volume, you can try this, but it
probably won't work:
0. fdisk new drive, create a partition table that's *exactly* the same as
  the old drive's wrt CHS values, except that it has another partition at
  the very end that covers the rest of the space on the disk.
1. Transfer the first 446 bytes of the MBR over with dd.
2. Transfer the old drive to the new drive by dd'ing each partition,
  leaving the final partition on the new drive untouched.
3. Use NT utilities to format the new partition, if you can even get the
  thing to boot....

The Hard-Drive Upgrade Mini-HOWTO ( http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/
somewhere) will suffice if this is a Linux system.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

2. Dell 7000 Inspiron & X

3. Need help with Sun Clone Floppy Drive

4. Windows nt 4.0 and Proxy / UNIX access

5. PowerQuest Drive Image - Windows compressed drive image, is there an equivalent for Linux?

6. Problems setting up 3Com Card

7. BIOS drive info != Linux drive info

8. TCP socket problem, Solaris 2.3

9. Imaging/Cloning Solaris (UNIX) Systems --- Help!

10. help -- need to get info about how to get info from object files.

11. Need info on Berkley FFS disk image internals

12. Bootkernel image disk NEEDED to drive Adaptec AHA-2940 cards

13. Cloned boot drive boots to windows, then automatically logs me off -- Help!