1. Hard drive Image and cloning
On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:31:20 -0500, Electromik staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
First, define "clone". If you want to replicate everything including
the partition table and bootloader, you can't. The partition table the
old drive uses will be incorrect for the new drive--wrong CHS values and
whatnot. So forget the "dd" approach.
If you merely want to copy the files over, that can be done by plugging
both drives in, mounting them, fdisk + mkfs the new drive, and transfer
files using tar or cpio or cp -r. The bootloader will not survive this
transition, naturally, so you'll have to run LILO or do a SYS C: or run
the BSD equivalent of LILO on this new drive. This approach will not
work under a filesystem that Linux does not fully support, meaning
forget using this approach for NTFS.
If you really need to transfer an NTFS volume, you can try this, but it
probably won't work:
0. fdisk new drive, create a partition table that's *exactly* the same as
the old drive's wrt CHS values, except that it has another partition at
the very end that covers the rest of the space on the disk.
1. Transfer the first 446 bytes of the MBR over with dd.
2. Transfer the old drive to the new drive by dd'ing each partition,
leaving the final partition on the new drive untouched.
3. Use NT utilities to format the new partition, if you can even get the
thing to boot....
The Hard-Drive Upgrade Mini-HOWTO ( http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/
somewhere) will suffice if this is a Linux system.
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com / Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/ I hit a seg fault....
2. Dell 7000 Inspiron & X
3. Need help with Sun Clone Floppy Drive
4. Windows nt 4.0 and Proxy / UNIX access
5. PowerQuest Drive Image - Windows compressed drive image, is there an equivalent for Linux?
6. Problems setting up 3Com Card
7. BIOS drive info != Linux drive info
8. TCP socket problem, Solaris 2.3
9. Imaging/Cloning Solaris (UNIX) Systems --- Help!
10. help -- need to get info about how to get info from object files.
11. Need info on Berkley FFS disk image internals
12. Bootkernel image disk NEEDED to drive Adaptec AHA-2940 cards
13. Cloned boot drive boots to windows, then automatically logs me off -- Help!