How do I get uucp to try more often when it fails to connect?

How do I get uucp to try more often when it fails to connect?

Post by Mats Luthm » Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:00:00

It seems that, when uucico fails for some reason, it writes a time limit
in the file /var/spool/uucp/.Status/seunet telling how long it will be
until it should be allowed to try to call again. The more times in a row
that uucico fails, the higher the time limit. Most calls to my uucp
provider (Swipnet in Sweden, by the way) do not get through, and the time
limit can end up so large that the uucp feed stalls for several days.

Is there any way I can change the way this time limit is decided? I
actually want it to be very low (just a couple of minutes, or even zero)
instead of higher when most calls don't get through. I know the best way
to get around the problem would be to get a provider who has enough
modems, and I'm lookin at that too.

I am running Solaris 2.2 on a Sun Sparcstation IPX.

--
Mats Luthman, Sylog AB
Solna Torg 3, Box 1466

Post by Alan Robs » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

|> Is there any way I can change the way this [uucp retry] time limit
|> is decided? I
|> actually want it to be very low (just a couple of minutes, or even zero)
|> instead of higher when most calls don't get through. I know the best way
|> to get around the problem would be to get a provider who has enough
|> modems, and I'm lookin at that too.

Suppose you are trying to contact a system named foo and you are allowed to
contact it at any time of the day. Your /etc/uucp/Systems will contain a line
that begins:

        foo Any  .......

(where the dots represent the rest of the line).

To force a lower retry time amend this line so that it reads:

        foo Any;n

where n is a number representing the number of minutes to wait before re-trying.
(0 is an immediate retry).

Even if you define specific times of day for calling foo you can still suffix the
time with a ;n to define a retry time.

Hope this helps.

--
-A

1. Getting UUCP files to/from UNIX to/from DOS

We are running a DOS-based BBS connected to a UNIX server via
TCP/IP. The DOS-based BBS can create UUCP files for dial-up
UUCP transfer to a UNIX host. Is there a way to transfer this
via TCP/IP instead of dial-up UUCP? We're thinking of mounting
the spool subdir of the UNIX server on the DOS machine but we
are not sure what UUCP does before it runs rmail when it receives
the files. Please help. Thank you.

--
Rommel P. Feria                            Tel.No.:[upon request]

2. cachectl() or equiv. for Linux-intel

3. still trying to connect to net (getting angry)

4. ssh and multiple console question

5. Trying to Connect Linux to the internet: DNS Resolving Fails

6. Fix thermal managment

7. ifup: getting IP info for eth0 failed; unexpected TX-done interrupt

8. Hercules Stingray

9. <Newbie> Trying to configure MetroX, Setup fails while trying to select Keyboard layout

10. often getting "can't find libXXX.so.3"

11. I'm going to be doing it more often...

12. makes failing too often... :(

13. SpeedTouch 330 gets disconnected too often