802.1Q VLAN trunk support on 2 trunked ge cards.

802.1Q VLAN trunk support on 2 trunked ge cards.

Post by Rocke Robertso » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:45:42

Does the 802.1Q VLAN trunk support work when 2 PCI ge cards are trunked
together ?

Solaris 7, very busy E450.

TIA

Rocke Robertson
PWGSC-GTIS-CPS
Voice (613) 748-4604
Fax   (613) 748-4843

Post by Mike » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:12:09

> Does the 802.1Q VLAN trunk support work when 2 PCI ge cards are trunked
> together ?

> Solaris 7, very busy E450.

I haven't tried this configuration, but I don't see any roadblocks.  The
802.1Q VLAN is handled at your switch end exclusively and the Sun
Trunking software makes your two gig cards look like one big pipe.

802.1Q VLAN trunk support on 2 trunked ge cards.

Post by Rocke Robertso » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:05:42

I got the official word from Sun. When using Sun Trunking, VLAN tagging on
the cards is not supported. So there goes that idea.

~rocker

> > Does the 802.1Q VLAN trunk support work when 2 PCI ge cards are trunked
> > together ?

> > Solaris 7, very busy E450.

> I haven't tried this configuration, but I don't see any roadblocks.  The
> 802.1Q VLAN is handled at your switch end exclusively and the Sun
> Trunking software makes your two gig cards look like one big pipe.

Rocke Robertson
PWGSC-GTIS-CPS
Voice (613) 748-4604
Fax   (613) 748-4843

1. Does IBM RS/6000 100Mbps NIC support 802.1q (VLAN)?

Hi,

I have searched the web to find answer to the subject question and came up
empty.  We asked IBM and they keep sending flip-flopping messages.  The
latest is that IBM NIC only support one VLAN, which is no use in our case.
We need to segregate servers into logical VLAN, and the total number is
definitely more than 20.  I need to know whether both IBM 100Mbps and 1Gbps
cards for RS/6000 running AIX 4.3.2 support multiple VLANs or not?

If the answer is no, would 3COM or other vendors (Sun, HP?) have NIC cards
supporting multiple VLANs?

Then if everything fails, any suggestions to get around this issue?

Anything helps, please respond to both my home and work address.  Many
thanks.

Cheers,
Herman

PS - the Catalyst switches we use are Cisco 2516 and 2524, both without
routing capabilities... I was told.

2. X freezes

3. IEEE 802.1q VLAN support?

4. FreeBSD FTP site

5. Vlan 802.1q performance problems

6. ?Files in ISO images?

7. 802.1q vlans and Cisco 2948 switches

8. DNS questions

9. 802.1Q VLAN patch for 2.4.4-pre3 & 2.2.19

10. 2.4.16: 802.1Q VLAN non-modular

11. Anyone doing Linux VLAN? 802.1q

12. VLANs (802.1q frame tags) and bridges connecting Xen domU guests

13. SUN GigaSwift Adapter 802.1q VLAN-Tagging