domestic network installation .. Please help

domestic network installation .. Please help

Post by hpy_a.. » Sat, 06 Nov 2004 07:19:45

I did not install Solaris(8) on intel platform in network mode before
. Please I need to tell me the smallest network configuration that I
need to install solaris on Max 2 PCs(home) and that installtion for
tutorial purposes .
Just for trying network commands and face some real networl problems.
What are my equipments needs ?

Just what I need to know (Such as Lan teck switches,NW
cards10/100.......etc)
Please help

Post by CJT » Sat, 06 Nov 2004 12:50:13

> I did not install Solaris(8) on intel platform in network mode before
> . Please I need to tell me the smallest network configuration that I
> need to install solaris on Max 2 PCs(home) and that installtion for
> tutorial purposes .
> Just for trying network commands and face some real networl problems.
> What are my equipments needs ?

> Just what I need to know (Such as Lan teck switches,NW
> cards10/100.......etc)
> Please help

a nic in each of the 2 machines, a switch or hub, and a cable from
each machine to the switch/hub will give you a rudimentary network

a router would be a good idea if you want Internet access -- it
could include an integral switch, and would need cabling

configuration and software to taste -- Solaris comes with the basics

a lot depends on what kind of "problems" you want to play with --
although they're presumably simple ones, given the nature of your
question

there's a hardware compatibility list (HCL) on Sun's web site

Post by aryzh » Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:26:41

> I did not install Solaris(8) on intel platform in network mode before
> . Please I need to tell me the smallest network configuration that I
> need to install solaris on Max 2 PCs(home) and that installtion for
> tutorial purposes .
> Just for trying network commands and face some real networl problems.
> What are my equipments needs ?

For cards, check the Solaris x86 hardware compatibility list
on www.sun.com (can't remember the URL, do some search on Sun and Google).
Best bet is probably 3COM cards. Switch/hub is not necessary for the minimal
configuration, as you can connect the 2 PCs with a crossover cable.
You may want to do 3-OS installation on both machines (M$Windows, Solaris
and Linux on each disk), I've found such setup quite useful for connectivity
trouble-shooting, as well as for creating some problems to fight :-)
good luck,
Andrei, spasu.net/Pub